upnp/dlna servers with Unslung

  • thorsvind
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
      Hi all,
      I'd like to share and ask you what server you're using to stream your files on your TV.
      Before I used ushare with my PS3 and everything worked fine, but now I have a new Panasonic TV and I'd rather stream everything directly on the screen rather than turn on the PS3, choose the server and so on...

      So this is where I am with my TV:

      Ushare: works fine with photos but can't stream mp3 or videos (whether the DLNA/PS3 option is "yes" or "no" in the .conf file)

      Mediatomb: works fine and streams everything fine but the problem is it's depserately slow to update the new files. The "full scan" on the web interface is definitely too slow everytime I add new picts or sounds.

      Minidlna: can't get it started!? I install it on the slug but then I don't know what to do / where to go to get it started. Is there a daemon mode or something I'm missing?

      Fuppes: same problem, can't get it started. I know there is an "init script" to create but I don't know how to do that using the telnet connection (+ permission issues)

      So if you can help me or guide me with any of these (especially minidlna or fuppes); or if you have any other server to suggest, I'd be glad to test your solutions.

      ++
    • David Isaac Wolinsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
        I recommend minidlna -- works for my Xbox360 and PS3

        Cheers
      • slackline
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "thorsvind" <thorsvind@...> wrote:

          > Mediatomb: works fine and streams everything fine but the problem is it's depserately slow to update the new files. The "full scan" on the web interface is definitely too slow everytime I add new picts or sounds.

          You've missed a trick here, when adding directories to the database you should select them to automatically update (see section 2.1.5 of http://mediatomb.cc/pages/userinterface#id2865554 ). Set this such that it uses inotify and it will update when files within the directory change, thus avoiding having to do a full scan each time you add pictures/music/video to your directories. Further set it to "Basic" and it will only look for new/removed files rather than for changes within files themselves.

          Neil
        • Andreas Wierda
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010

            My NSLU (266 MHz) runs TwonkyMedia without any problem. I have a TV with DNLA support (Philips 9604-series model) and 100 Mbps ethernet. 720p and lower-resolution videos run fine, there is only a slight delay when starting the video (a few seconds). There are no hickups once the video has started. I recently replaced my NSLU with a Synology DS209. There I have the same delay so it appears to be caused by the TV.
            For HD videos the NSLU or the 100Mpbs connection is too low; there are hickups while playing the video.

            Besides Twonky my NLSU is also running Apache and Samba so I think it is safe to say the NSLU is powerfull enough to be used as a media server.

            Note that the latest versions of Twonky do not work on the NSLU anymore. I used a license key of a new version in combination with older software I downloaded somewhere else. Google around a bit. If you want to I can send you the urls of the sites I used to get it working.

            When you are only interested in Audio; the mt-daapd server works fine on the NSLU also. I had it running in combination with a Pinnacle mediaplayer and that worked fine also. Advantage over Twonky; its free.'

            Hope this helps.

            Andreas