nslu2 optware sendmail configuration

  • Alexander Pohl
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19 3:19 AM

      How to I generate a custom sendmail.cf file without editing the file
      directly? From what I understand is that the sendmail.cf file is
      generated during the build precess by the site-config.m4 macro and the
      patch config.patch. The sendmail package build process does not make
      use of m4 macros. I would like to use the modifications already
      applied in sendmail.cf, ie. custom path to config files in /opt, as a
      starting point for my own configuration. In particular I want to add
      from an to address rewriting and use m4 macros described at
      http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sendmail-Address-Rewrite.html.

      I am a total sendmail beginner and don't know how to edit sendmail.cf
      directly. I also tried other simpler MTA's, but it looks like sendmail
      is the best option as I don't need to run it as a daemon just to send
      a couple of messages to a smarthost and it has all the address
      rewriting capabilities I need for backuppc which e.g. ssmtp lacks.

      Thanks for any help.
      Alexander
    • Alexander Pohl
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19 1:32 PM

        I found a solution to produce a valid configuration file test.cf from
        m4 macros. First I created the m4 macro file test.mc with my
        modifications:

        $ cat test.mc:

        include(cf/m4/cf.m4)

        OSTYPE(linux)

        define(`ALIAS_FILE',`/etc/mail/aliases')
        define(`SMART_HOST',`my.smarthost.com')

        GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')

        FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
        FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')

        MAILER(local)
        MAILER(smtp)

        Then I used sed to reflect the /opt/etc and /opt/var directories:

        $ cat sed.sh:

        #!/bin/sh
        sed -e 's/\/etc/\/opt\/etc/' -e 's/\/var/\/opt\/var/' -e 's/usr/opt/'
        -e 's/\/opt\/etc\/hosts/\/etc\/hosts/' $1 > $2

        $ sed.sh test.mc test.cf

        And voila! here is the valid configuration file for the optware
        sendmail package created using m4 macros.

        Alexander

        On 19 August 2010 11:19, Alexander Pohl <a.h.pohl@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > How to I generate a custom sendmail.cf file without editing the file
        > directly? From what I understand is that the sendmail.cf file is
        > generated during the build precess by the site-config.m4 macro and the
        > patch config.patch. The sendmail package build process does not make
        > use of m4 macros. I would like to use the modifications already
        > applied in sendmail.cf, ie. custom path to config files in /opt, as a
        > starting point for my own configuration. In particular I want to add
        > from an to address rewriting and use m4 macros described at
        > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sendmail-Address-Rewrite.html.
        >
        > I am a total sendmail beginner and don't know how to edit sendmail.cf
        > directly. I also tried other simpler MTA's, but it looks like sendmail
        > is the best option as I don't need to run it as a daemon just to send
        > a couple of messages to a smarthost and it has all the address
        > rewriting capabilities I need for backuppc which e.g. ssmtp lacks.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        > Alexander

      • Alexander Pohl
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19 1:36 PM
          Sorry, all wrong...before using the sed.sh script the test.cf file
          needs to be created from test.mc using m4:

          $ m4 test.mc > temp.cf

          then

          $ sed.sh temp.cf test.cf

          Alexander