Re: network problems in upgrade mode

  • rolandkbs
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18 12:12 PM
      When I had the same problem, I solved it by connection the slug directly to my computer, without router/switch/hub inbetween. Just give it a try.

      Roland

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Tancock <matttancock@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to reflash my slug. I'm running slugOS and a while back I lost
      > the ability to ssh into my slug, but my media server was still running. This
      > week the media server stopped working and I have no way to fix it! So
      > decided to try reflashing. When it's running (which it appears to be -
      > although I can ssh in if I remove the USB stick) it connects to the network
      > fine - if I go to my router configuration, I can see the IP address assigned
      > along with MAC address etc.
      >
      > As soon as I put it into upgrade mode,I get the green/red flashing light and
      > the ethernet light is solid, along with my router light saying it detects a
      > connection, but my slug doesn't appear on the network, can't be found by
      > upslug2 and is generally not there. I've tried the process several times and
      > nothing is working.
      >
      > Not sure what to do now...
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Matt

    • Matt Tancock
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18 12:39 PM
        I did try that, but I don't have a x-over cable so not sure if it will work/what settings I should put into the network interface, or will it not actually work without a xover? I've got a macbook pro....

        Thanks!

        Matt

        On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM, rolandkbs <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

        When I had the same problem, I solved it by connection the slug directly to my computer, without router/switch/hub inbetween. Just give it a try.

        Roland

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Tancock <matttancock@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to reflash my slug. I'm running slugOS and a while back I lost
        > the ability to ssh into my slug, but my media server was still running. This
        > week the media server stopped working and I have no way to fix it! So
        > decided to try reflashing. When it's running (which it appears to be -
        > although I can ssh in if I remove the USB stick) it connects to the network
        > fine - if I go to my router configuration, I can see the IP address assigned
        > along with MAC address etc.
        >
        > As soon as I put it into upgrade mode,I get the green/red flashing light and
        > the ethernet light is solid, along with my router light saying it detects a
        > connection, but my slug doesn't appear on the network, can't be found by
        > upslug2 and is generally not there. I've tried the process several times and
        > nothing is working.
        >
        > Not sure what to do now...
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Matt

      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18 4:26 PM
          On Wednesday 18 August 2010 13:39:06 Matt Tancock wrote:
          > I did try that, but I don't have a x-over cable so not sure if it will
          > work/what settings I should put into the network interface, or will it not
          > actually work without a xover? I've got a macbook pro....

          Youe MabBook Pro has an auto-sensing etnernet port. It will automatically
          determine if it needs to "cross over" the connections, and should thus work
          with either a straight-through or a crossover cable.
        • Matt Tancock
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19 1:37 AM
            Still no joy. I've tried a variety of network settings on my laptop but still nothing can see the slug when it's in upgrade mode. I don't understand why because the first time around I was able to get it upgraded fine...

            ---

            Matt Tancock

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19 1:22 PM
              You could try using Sercom from a Windows machine instead of Upslug2. Make sure there's no (software-)firewall active.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19 1:40 PM
                Yeah, I did consider that. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have access to a windows box (all mac household!) but will then

                I've just (not sure why) ordered another slug so will see if I have any different joy with this one when it arrives!!

                Matt