network problems in upgrade mode

  • Matt Tancock
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2010
      I'm trying to reflash my slug. I'm running slugOS and a while back I lost the ability to ssh into my slug, but my media server was still running. This week the media server stopped working and I have no way to fix it! So decided to try reflashing. When it's running (which it appears to be - although I can ssh in if I remove the USB stick) it connects to the network fine - if I go to my router configuration, I can see the IP address assigned along with MAC address etc.

      As soon as I put it into upgrade mode,I get the green/red flashing light and the ethernet light is solid, along with my router light saying it detects a connection, but my slug doesn't appear on the network, can't be found by upslug2 and is generally not there. I've tried the process several times and nothing is working.

      Not sure what to do now...

      Any suggestions?

      Matt
    • rolandkbs
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2010
        When I had the same problem, I solved it by connection the slug directly to my computer, without router/switch/hub inbetween. Just give it a try.

        Roland

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Tancock <matttancock@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to reflash my slug. I'm running slugOS and a while back I lost
        > the ability to ssh into my slug, but my media server was still running. This
        > week the media server stopped working and I have no way to fix it! So
        > decided to try reflashing. When it's running (which it appears to be -
        > although I can ssh in if I remove the USB stick) it connects to the network
        > fine - if I go to my router configuration, I can see the IP address assigned
        > along with MAC address etc.
        >
        > As soon as I put it into upgrade mode,I get the green/red flashing light and
        > the ethernet light is solid, along with my router light saying it detects a
        > connection, but my slug doesn't appear on the network, can't be found by
        > upslug2 and is generally not there. I've tried the process several times and
        > nothing is working.
        >
        > Not sure what to do now...
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Matt

      • Matt Tancock
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2010
          I did try that, but I don't have a x-over cable so not sure if it will work/what settings I should put into the network interface, or will it not actually work without a xover? I've got a macbook pro....

          Thanks!

          Matt

          On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:12 PM, rolandkbs <roland.krebs@...> wrote:

          When I had the same problem, I solved it by connection the slug directly to my computer, without router/switch/hub inbetween. Just give it a try.

          Roland

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Matt Tancock <matttancock@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to reflash my slug. I'm running slugOS and a while back I lost
          > the ability to ssh into my slug, but my media server was still running. This
          > week the media server stopped working and I have no way to fix it! So
          > decided to try reflashing. When it's running (which it appears to be -
          > although I can ssh in if I remove the USB stick) it connects to the network
          > fine - if I go to my router configuration, I can see the IP address assigned
          > along with MAC address etc.
          >
          > As soon as I put it into upgrade mode,I get the green/red flashing light and
          > the ethernet light is solid, along with my router light saying it detects a
          > connection, but my slug doesn't appear on the network, can't be found by
          > upslug2 and is generally not there. I've tried the process several times and
          > nothing is working.
          >
          > Not sure what to do now...
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Matt

        • Brian Wood
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2010
            On Wednesday 18 August 2010 13:39:06 Matt Tancock wrote:
            > I did try that, but I don't have a x-over cable so not sure if it will
            > work/what settings I should put into the network interface, or will it not
            > actually work without a xover? I've got a macbook pro....

            Youe MabBook Pro has an auto-sensing etnernet port. It will automatically
            determine if it needs to "cross over" the connections, and should thus work
            with either a straight-through or a crossover cable.
          • Matt Tancock
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2010
              Still no joy. I've tried a variety of network settings on my laptop but still nothing can see the slug when it's in upgrade mode. I don't understand why because the first time around I was able to get it upgraded fine...

              ---

              Matt Tancock

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2010
                You could try using Sercom from a Windows machine instead of Upslug2. Make sure there's no (software-)firewall active.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 19, 2010
                  Yeah, I did consider that. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have access to a windows box (all mac household!) but will then

                  I've just (not sure why) ordered another slug so will see if I have any different joy with this one when it arrives!!

                  Matt