Cannot access telnet

  • gary
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
      Hi all,

      My (storage) HDD (on disk 2) failed on my unslung Slug recently. Hoping to swap in a new HDD didn't work as planned so I decided to reflash the firmware, re-unsling and carry on as before.

      No problem with using the reset button to enter Upgrade Mode and I can see the new firmware (NSLU2_V23R63.bin) overwriting the old & then being verified etc and the slug rebooting. However, once the slug reboots I have no telnet access nor ssh (ssh I didn't expect to have though some of the wiki instructions suggest I should be able to ssh to my slug). The link on the GUI to enable telnet is not there, nor if I type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Management/telnet.cgi do I get there - the page says Content-type: text/html Error: File not found.

      I have had a stab at trying to get into redboot mode without success using various methods listed but I feel I'm going round in circles.

      What also surprises me is that the GUI, whilst listing me as having V2.3R63 installed is also still giving me the Unslung/linux/Penguin graphic on the top left of the GUI when I have yet to re-unsling.

      My set up before that worked perfectly was Unslung 6.8 on a USB stick in disk 1, external HDD on disk 2. I am on Mac OS X (10.5) PPC.

      Can anyone rationalise this for me - and get me back telnet access to re-unsling?!! Any help greatly appreciated...

      Cheers, Andy
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
        gary wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > My (storage) HDD (on disk 2) failed on my unslung Slug recently. Hoping to swap in a new HDD didn't work as planned so I decided to reflash the firmware, re-unsling and carry on as before.
        >
        > No problem with using the reset button to enter Upgrade Mode and I can see the new firmware (NSLU2_V23R63.bin) overwriting the old & then being verified etc and the slug rebooting. However, once the slug reboots I have no telnet access nor ssh (ssh I didn't expect to have though some of the wiki instructions suggest I should be able to ssh to my slug). The link on the GUI to enable telnet is not there, nor if I type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Management/telnet.cgi do I get there - the page says Content-type: text/html Error: File not found.

        You have installed NSLU2_V23R63.bin -- that's the Linksys firmware. It
        doesn't do telnet, so this is exactly what one would expect, actually.

        Regarding SSH, you might be confusing Unslung and SlugOS -- Unslung
        starts out with only telnet due to firmware space limitations, but
        SlugOS starts out with SSH. And the Linksys firmware has neither.

        > I have had a stab at trying to get into redboot mode without success using various methods listed but I feel I'm going round in circles.
        >
        > What also surprises me is that the GUI, whilst listing me as having V2.3R63 installed is also still giving me the Unslung/linux/Penguin graphic on the top left of the GUI when I have yet to re-unsling.

        The logo doesn't reflect the unslung state, it merely tells you which
        firmware you have installed. Unfortunately, browser caches get in the
        way here. Clear your browser cache, and you'll see the REAL icon for
        your current firmware.
        > My set up before that worked perfectly was Unslung 6.8 on a USB stick in disk 1, external HDD on disk 2. I am on Mac OS X (10.5) PPC.
        >
        > Can anyone rationalise this for me - and get me back telnet access to re-unsling?!! Any help greatly appreciated..
        Sure. Flash the unslung firmware to start! ;-)

        -Mike (mwester)
      • gary
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2010
          Thanks Mike.
          all sorted now. A mixture of intense doziness and too much caution were the overriding factors at play...
          Cheers, Andy