Mail server on the NSLU2

  • assimacos
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2010
      Hello,

      I have set up my Slug (SlugOs 4.8) as an imap mail server with fetchmail, imap and procmail. Mail can be accessed from the LAN.

      I need to access my mail from the internet as well. What is the best sollution:
      i. set up the imap server to receive connections from the internet
      or
      ii. use a mail client like mutt running on the slug through an ssh connection

      In the second case, should I use the imap capabilities of mutt (or other mail client) or should access the mailboxes locally? Will this create any problems for the other pcs accessing with imap?

      Antonis
    • Brendon Oliver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2010
        > I have set up my Slug (SlugOs 4.8) as an imap mail server with
        > fetchmail, imap and procmail. Mail can be accessed from the LAN.
        >
        > I need to access my mail from the internet as well. What is the best
        > sollution:
        > i. set up the imap server to receive connections from the internet
        > or
        > ii. use a mail client like mutt running on the slug through an ssh
        > connection

        I use the 2nd setup for best flexibility, but also tunnel imap over
        ssh. Another option could be to use squirrelmail if you want to setup a
        web server on the slug. I've done that in the past also, but prefer the
        imap over ssh setup.

        regards,

        - brendon.