Re: Modem connection

  • rwhitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
      On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:12:56 -0500 (EST), m. allan noah
      <anoah@...> wrote:
      > almost no chance of doing this. the kernel and boot loader are
      configured
      > to use the serial port for the system console. without replacing
      the boot
      > loader to change the kernel command line, you cant use this port for
      > anything else.

      Actually, on the NSLU2, the kernel command is only compiled into the
      kernel. The bootloader is not involved in setting the kernel command
      line (which is unusual, cause that's the way it is normally done). As
      Allan states, you definitely will loose your serial port for RedBoot
      and Kernel console access. There is a chance that RedBoot might hang
      on boot if it has a DCE connected to the serial port instead of a DTE
      (see the posts on adding a resistor to the serial port for more info
      on this).

      > try using a usb-serial converter, several of those are supported in
      linux.

      That's what I would suggest too. Much easier, and you'll want the
      serial console to debug the loading of ppp-related modules you'll need
      for the modem.

      I currently have a dial-in modem connected to the second serial port
      on a WRT54GS, running in s/w flow control mode - it works fine at
      33.6K (which is the speed of the old modem I have connected to it).
      As soon as I receive a h/w flow control usb serial cable from ka6sox
      (should be late this week, or early next), I'll be looking into moving
      that setup onto prodslug.