SOS

  • vi_sharan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2010
      Hi I had a recent power outage and therafter my slug has died. It wont detect my disk1 or disk2
      df by telnetting just shows

      /dev/mtdblock4

      Unforunately dont have any backups!! Please help

      SOS

      TIA
    • Nick W
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2010
        Hi Vi!
           I'm not a Slug expert, there are better people here who can help you get your slug back on its feet.  However, this happened to me once too. Don't panic, even if the slug is dead you can 99% likely still get at your data.    Go to: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/ .  Scroll down a little and click the "popular" link under the blue "Virtual Appliances" logo and download the Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop virtual appliance onto whatever PC you sent that email from.  Also download a free copy of VMWare player and install it.  Once that's done, you should be able to double-click on the Ubuntu Desktop Virtual appliance VMDK file (or whatever the extension is), and you'll get an Ubuntu Virtual machine.  You can now plug in the hard drive from the slug into the PC, mount it under the virtual machine, back up your files to the host OS / an SMB share.  Note you will need about 5 Gigs of HDD space for the install and VMWare VM, plus whatever you need for your backups.

           It's possible you just need a new power supply for your slug.  That's what my problem was.  The outage damaged it in some way.

        Good Luck! i hope someone here can help you get your slug back up too!

        N.

        --

        Nick Walton
        Mob: +44 - (0) 77 66 55 222 8

        "Reality TV?  Well, if being trapped in a Tropical Swamp with Anthony Worrell Thompson and Christine Hamilton is Reality, then I say pass the mind-altering drugs."
        - Humphrey Lyttleton, ISIHAC 20030623

        To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2010
          Thanks though, Slug is powering up only the USB ports are not working! I am able to telnet into the device

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Nick W <nww02@...> wrote:

          > Hi Vi!
          > I'm not a Slug expert, there are better people here who can help you get your slug back on its feet. However, this happened to me once too. Don't panic, even if the slug is dead you can 99% likely still get at your data. Go to: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/ . Scroll down a little and click the "popular" link under the blue "Virtual Appliances" logo and download the Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop virtual appliance onto whatever PC you sent that email from. Also download a free copy of VMWare player and install it. Once that's done, you should be able to double-click on the Ubuntu Desktop Virtual appliance VMDK file (or whatever the extension is), and you'll get an Ubuntu Virtual machine. You can now plug in the hard drive from the slug into the PC, mount it under the virtual machine, back up your files to the host OS / an SMB share. Note you will need about 5 Gigs of HDD space for the install and VMWare VM, plus whatever you need for your backups.
          >
          > It's possible you just need a new power supply for your slug. That's what my problem was. The outage damaged it in some way.
          >
          > Good Luck! i hope someone here can help you get your slug back up too!
          >
          > N.
          >

          > --
          >
          > Nick Walton
          > Mob: +44 - (0) 77 66 55 222 8
          > Email: nww02@...
          >
          > "Reality TV? Well, if being trapped in a Tropical Swamp with Anthony Worrell Thompson and Christine Hamilton is Reality, then I say pass the mind-altering drugs."
          > - Humphrey Lyttleton, ISIHAC 20030623
          >

          > To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
          > From: vi_sharan@...
          > Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 01:29:36 +0000
          > Subject: [nslu2-linux] SOS

          > Hi I had a recent power outage and therafter my slug has died. It wont detect my disk1 or disk2
          >
          > df by telnetting just shows
          >

          > /dev/mtdblock4
          >

          > Unforunately dont have any backups!! Please help
          >

          > SOS
          >

          > TIA

          > We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now

        • Mike Westerhof
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2010
            That is a strong indication of psu failure.
            -mike
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 5 , May 19, 2010
              Thanks for all the help, had to use upslug2 and Flash it again!!! After wards it kept on failing to format from the WebGUI, followed instruction on wiki to preformat the usb stick with NTFS, somehow after that step it went through.

              Thx again