Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 20 , May 13, 2010
      Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
      you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

      then

      login to a console screen as root
      copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
      folder.
      Navigate to this folder
      then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

      In message
      <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.
      Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      592B 0199 2D7F FC05 C4B1 0404 2258 4471 1541 44DA
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 20 , May 16, 2010
        ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

        > Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion
        > Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running
        > that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)? If so,
        > would you care to share? The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two
        > weeks with the updated ipk I seek...
        >
        > TIA...
        >
        > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:
        >

        > > http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582
        > >
        > > (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross
        > > compilation)
        > >
        > > Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the
        > > feeds for a few days.
        > >
        > > If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary
        > > yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > -Brian
        > >

        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com <nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music
        > > via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
        > > >
        > > > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module
        > > written for use with Ices0.
        > > >
        > > > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung.
        > > However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive
        > > >
        > > > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support
        > > for embedded perl]
        > > > Ices Exiting...
        > > >
        > > > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a
        > > re-compile:
        > > >
        > > > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
        > > >
        > > > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
        > > >
        > > > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL
        > > module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
        > > >
        > > > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed
        > > to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
        > > >
        > > > It all feels so very, very close...

      • M.J. Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , May 16, 2010
             Looks like the feed may have been broken.

          # ipkg upgrade ices0
          Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
          Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
          wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
          Nothing to be done
          Collected errors:
          ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
          Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

             I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

          Message 4 of 20 , May 17, 2010
               Dang it.  Same result...

            # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
            Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
            Nothing to be done
            Collected errors:
            Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
            Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

               I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

               Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

            On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
            Whoops

            I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

            New version attached to this email

            In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes
             Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk
            you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local
            ipk, so I went with the following:

            # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
            Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
            Nothing to be done
            Collected errors:
            Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or
            PREFER.  Using latest.
            Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are
            corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

             So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

             Again, thanks for all the assistance...

            I now have it built, sent by PM

            Message 5 of 20 , May 17, 2010
              For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
              The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
              Will investigate when I have some time.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                problems.

                I think the command line should be something like :-

                ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                If you type

                ipkg --help

                will give a list of the command line options.

                In message
                <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                     I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                     Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                       I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                       Thank you so much for the follow up!