Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 20 , May 12, 2010
      I now have it built, sent by PM

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 20 , May 12, 2010
           Thanks so much, Robert... will test this tonight!  I assume I'll first need to uninstall the existing ices package I have installed on my Slug.

           What should the ipkg install command look like?  I can try:

        ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

           ... but won't that just attempt to install the ipkg from the optware feed?  Should I attempt to explicitly specify the path to the ipk you sent me?

           Thanks so much for your assistance!

           - M.J.

        On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
        Built for NSLU2 Unslung,  attached to this e-mail.  Hope that you receive it intact and it installs

        Best Regards

        Robert

        In message <AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes
         Anyone?  Pretty please?

        Message 3 of 20 , May 13, 2010
          Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
          you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

          then

          login to a console screen as root
          copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
          folder.
          Navigate to this folder
          then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

          In message
          <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.

          Message 4 of 20 , May 13, 2010
               Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local ipk, so I went with the following:

            # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
            Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
            Nothing to be done
            Collected errors:
            Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
            Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

               So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

               Again, thanks for all the assistance...

            Message 5 of 20 , May 15, 2010
              I think that the package ipk version number located in the build make
              file needs to be moved from 1 to 2 to stop this, i.e. the build needs
              to produce ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk

              I should be back at my build machine on Sunday evening GMT so will
              re-build and re-send. The package only takes about 5 minutes to build.

              In message
              <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J.

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

                -Brian

                Message 7 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                     Looks like the feed may have been broken.

                  # ipkg upgrade ices0
                  Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
                  Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                  wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                  Nothing to be done
                  Collected errors:
                  ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
                  Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

                     I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                       Dang it.  Same result...

                    # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                    Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
                    Nothing to be done
                    Collected errors:
                    Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                    Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                       I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

                       Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

                    On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                    Whoops

                    I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

                    New version attached to this email

                    In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                      For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
                      The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
                      Will investigate when I have some time.

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                        I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                        the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                        problems.

                        I think the command line should be something like :-

                        ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                        If you type

                        ipkg --help

                        will give a list of the command line options.

                        In message
                        <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                             I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                             Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                               I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                               Thank you so much for the follow up!