Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 20 , May 12, 2010
      I tried to build this package tonight but unfortunately Perl fails to
      build on my build system.

      Investigating....

      In message
      <AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@...>, M.J.
      Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 20 , May 12, 2010
        I now have it built, sent by PM

        >I tried to build this package tonight but unfortunately Perl fails to
        >build on my build system.
        >
        >Investigating....
        >
        >In message
        ><AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@....
        >com>, M.J.
        >Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes
        >> Anyone? Pretty please?
        >>
        >>On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@
        >gmail.com>wrote:
        >>
        >>> Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion
        >>> Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and
        >running
        >>> that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)? If so,
        >>> would you care to share? The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two
        >>> weeks with the updated ipk I seek...
        >>>
        >>> TIA...

        >the

        >binary

        >com>,

        >music
        >transcoding.

        >module

        >have, I

        >PERL

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        592B 0199 2D7F FC05 C4B1 0404 2258 4471 1541 44DA
      • M.J. Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , May 12, 2010
             Thanks so much, Robert... will test this tonight!  I assume I'll first need to uninstall the existing ices package I have installed on my Slug.

             What should the ipkg install command look like?  I can try:

          ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

             ... but won't that just attempt to install the ipkg from the optware feed?  Should I attempt to explicitly specify the path to the ipk you sent me?

             Thanks so much for your assistance!

             - M.J.

          On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
          Built for NSLU2 Unslung,  attached to this e-mail.  Hope that you receive it intact and it installs

          Best Regards

          Robert

          Message 4 of 20 , May 13, 2010
            Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
            you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

            then

            login to a console screen as root
            copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
            folder.
            Navigate to this folder
            then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

            In message
            <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.

            Message 5 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                 Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local ipk, so I went with the following:

              # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
              Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
              Nothing to be done
              Collected errors:
              Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
              Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                 So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

                 Again, thanks for all the assistance...

              I now have it built, sent by PM

              Message 6 of 20 , May 15, 2010
                I think that the package ipk version number located in the build make
                file needs to be moved from 1 to 2 to stop this, i.e. the build needs
                to produce ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk

                I should be back at my build machine on Sunday evening GMT so will
                re-build and re-send. The package only takes about 5 minutes to build.

                In message
                <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J.

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                  ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

                  -Brian

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                       Looks like the feed may have been broken.

                    # ipkg upgrade ices0
                    Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
                    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                    wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                    Nothing to be done
                    Collected errors:
                    ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
                    Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

                       I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                         Dang it.  Same result...

                      # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                      Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
                      Nothing to be done
                      Collected errors:
                      Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                      Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                         I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

                         Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

                      On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                      Whoops

                      I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

                      New version attached to this email

                      In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                        For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
                        The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
                        Will investigate when I have some time.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                          I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                          the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                          problems.

                          I think the command line should be something like :-

                          ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                          If you type

                          ipkg --help

                          will give a list of the command line options.

                          In message
                          <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                               I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                               Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                                 I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                                 Thank you so much for the follow up!