Re: [nslu2-linux] Novice. Getting started help.

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2010
      There is a great deal written about the NSLU2 and its capabilities once you replace its firmware.  Much of it can be found on the official wiki:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage

      ... and in the archives of this mailing list.

      I had asked about running a Java application on the Slug (as it is affectionately known), and was informed it is not a suitable Java runtime platform.  That said, much of what may be attempting has very likely been achieved without the use of Java.  Look through the wiki and the archives to narrow down your focus and learn what has/can be achieved.

      Good luck.

      On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:59 AM, prabu_s_c <prabu_s_c@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I came to know about slug from a blog post that explained using slug for internet radio. I am looking at using slug for a network application (over HTTP). I need few information to getting started.

      1) Is there a tutorial to know what slug is and what it can do.
      2) Is it possible to install JRE to run my apps. If yes, then what flavor of linux should I be running in the slug?

      Thanks in advance,
      Prabu

    • DaylanDarby
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2010
        Ditto the advice below.

        As to Internet radio: I tried RelaXXPlayer on a debian linux slug and
        it worked well for me. I'm currently using a Music Player Daemon (MPD)
        and Music Player Client (MPC) on debian to listen to Internet radio.

        dd