Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 10, 2010
         Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

         TIA...

      On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

      (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

      Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

      If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

      Regards,

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

      > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
      >
      > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
      >
      > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
      >
      > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
      > Ices Exiting...
      >
      > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
      >
      > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
      >
      > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
      >
      > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
      >
      > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
      >
      > It all feels so very, very close...

    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , May 11, 2010
           Anyone?  Pretty please?

        On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
           Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

           TIA...

        On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

        http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

        (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

        Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

        If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

        Regards,

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

        > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
        >
        > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
        >
        > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
        >
        > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
        > Ices Exiting...
        >
        > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
        >
        > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
        >
        > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
        >
        > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
        >
        > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
        >
        > It all feels so very, very close...

      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 20 , May 12, 2010
          I tried to build this package tonight but unfortunately Perl fails to
          build on my build system.

          Investigating....

          In message
          <AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@...>, M.J.
          Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 20 , May 12, 2010
            I now have it built, sent by PM

            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                 Thanks so much, Robert... will test this tonight!  I assume I'll first need to uninstall the existing ices package I have installed on my Slug.

                 What should the ipkg install command look like?  I can try:

              ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                 ... but won't that just attempt to install the ipkg from the optware feed?  Should I attempt to explicitly specify the path to the ipk you sent me?

                 Thanks so much for your assistance!

                 - M.J.

              On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
              Built for NSLU2 Unslung,  attached to this e-mail.  Hope that you receive it intact and it installs

              Best Regards

              Robert

              Message 6 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
                you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

                then

                login to a console screen as root
                copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
                folder.
                Navigate to this folder
                then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                In message
                <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                     Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local ipk, so I went with the following:

                  # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
                  Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
                  Nothing to be done
                  Collected errors:
                  Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                  Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                     So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

                     Again, thanks for all the assistance...

                  I now have it built, sent by PM

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 15, 2010
                    I think that the package ipk version number located in the build make
                    file needs to be moved from 1 to 2 to stop this, i.e. the build needs
                    to produce ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk

                    I should be back at my build machine on Sunday evening GMT so will
                    re-build and re-send. The package only takes about 5 minutes to build.

                    In message
                    <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J.

                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                      ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

                      -Brian

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                           Looks like the feed may have been broken.

                        # ipkg upgrade ices0
                        Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
                        Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                        wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                        Nothing to be done
                        Collected errors:
                        ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
                        Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

                           I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                             Dang it.  Same result...

                          # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                          Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
                          Nothing to be done
                          Collected errors:
                          Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                          Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                             I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

                             Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

                          On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                          Whoops

                          I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

                          New version attached to this email

                          In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                            For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
                            The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
                            Will investigate when I have some time.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                              I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                              the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                              problems.

                              I think the command line should be something like :-

                              ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                              If you type

                              ipkg --help

                              will give a list of the command line options.

                              In message
                              <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                                   I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                                   Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                                     I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                                     Thank you so much for the follow up!