Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 7, 2010
         Looks like the ices0 ipkg with PERL support has not yet appeared in the cross compiled ipkg feed after eight days or so... should it yet show up, with a bit more patience?

         Thanks again.

      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
         Thank you, Brian, for your efforts.  I look forward to picking this up in the ipkg feed.

         I'm guessing the process for it to show up is still working through the system - I ran an ipkg update, and it has not shown up yet.  I'll keep checking, and let you know how things work out once I upgrade.

         Thanks again.

      On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

      (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

      Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

      If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

      Regards,

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

      > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
      >
      > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
      >
      > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
      >
      > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
      > Ices Exiting...
      >
      > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
      >
      > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
      >
      > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
      >
      > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
      >
      > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
      >
      > It all feels so very, very close...

    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , May 10, 2010
           Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

           TIA...

        Message 3 of 20 , May 11, 2010
             Anyone?  Pretty please?

          On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
             Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

             TIA...

          On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

          http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

          (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

          Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

          If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

          Regards,

          -Brian

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

          > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
          >
          > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
          >
          > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
          >
          > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
          > Ices Exiting...
          >
          > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
          >
          > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
          >
          > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
          >
          > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
          >
          > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
          >
          > It all feels so very, very close...

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 20 , May 12, 2010
            I tried to build this package tonight but unfortunately Perl fails to
            build on my build system.

            Investigating....

            In message
            <AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@...>, M.J.
            Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2010
              I now have it built, sent by PM

              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                   Thanks so much, Robert... will test this tonight!  I assume I'll first need to uninstall the existing ices package I have installed on my Slug.

                   What should the ipkg install command look like?  I can try:

                ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                   ... but won't that just attempt to install the ipkg from the optware feed?  Should I attempt to explicitly specify the path to the ipk you sent me?

                   Thanks so much for your assistance!

                   - M.J.

                On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                Built for NSLU2 Unslung,  attached to this e-mail.  Hope that you receive it intact and it installs

                Best Regards

                Robert

                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                  Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
                  you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

                  then

                  login to a console screen as root
                  copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
                  folder.
                  Navigate to this folder
                  then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                  In message
                  <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                       Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local ipk, so I went with the following:

                    # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
                    Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
                    Nothing to be done
                    Collected errors:
                    Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                    Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                       So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

                       Again, thanks for all the assistance...

                    I now have it built, sent by PM

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 15, 2010
                      I think that the package ipk version number located in the build make
                      file needs to be moved from 1 to 2 to stop this, i.e. the build needs
                      to produce ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk

                      I should be back at my build machine on Sunday evening GMT so will
                      re-build and re-send. The package only takes about 5 minutes to build.

                      In message
                      <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J.

                    • Brian
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                        ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

                        -Brian

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                             Looks like the feed may have been broken.

                          # ipkg upgrade ices0
                          Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
                          Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                          wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                          Nothing to be done
                          Collected errors:
                          ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
                          Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

                             I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                               Dang it.  Same result...

                            # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                            Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
                            Nothing to be done
                            Collected errors:
                            Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                            Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                               I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

                               Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

                            On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                            Whoops

                            I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

                            New version attached to this email

                            In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                              For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
                              The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
                              Will investigate when I have some time.

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                                I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                                the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                                problems.

                                I think the command line should be something like :-

                                ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                                If you type

                                ipkg --help

                                will give a list of the command line options.

                                In message
                                <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                                     I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                                     Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                                       I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                                       Thank you so much for the follow up!