Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Help with IceS - PERL quesion

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2010
         Thank you, Brian, for your efforts.  I look forward to picking this up in the ipkg feed.

         I'm guessing the process for it to show up is still working through the system - I ran an ipkg update, and it has not shown up yet.  I'll keep checking, and let you know how things work out once I upgrade.

         Thanks again.

      On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

      http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

      (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

      Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

      If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

      Regards,

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

      > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
      >
      > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
      >
      > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
      >
      > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
      > Ices Exiting...
      >
      > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
      >
      > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
      >
      > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
      >
      > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
      >
      > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
      >
      > It all feels so very, very close...

    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , May 7, 2010
           Looks like the ices0 ipkg with PERL support has not yet appeared in the cross compiled ipkg feed after eight days or so... should it yet show up, with a bit more patience?

           Thanks again.

        Message 3 of 20 , May 10, 2010
             Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

             TIA...

          Message 4 of 20 , May 11, 2010
               Anyone?  Pretty please?

            On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
               Following up on this thread from last month, and taking the suggestion Brian offered - is there anyone who has a build environment up and running that would allow them to build the ipk binary I require (of ices0)?  If so, would you care to share?  The ipkg feed has not updated in the last two weeks with the updated ipk I seek...

               TIA...

            On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Brian <b88zhou@...> wrote:

            http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/11582

            (took a little hack in adding the perl support because of cross compilation)

            Our autobuilder is having some problem. So the ipkg won't appear in the feeds for a few days.

            If you cannot wait, try setup a build environment and build the ipk binary yourself. Or ask some one to build it for you.

            Regards,

            -Brian

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "threeeyedtoad" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

            > I believe I'm very, very close to solving the problem of streaming music via icecast while using mpd as the playlist manager - with no transcoding.
            >
            > My success currently seems to hinge on being able to use a PERL module written for use with Ices0.
            >
            > I've successfully installed Ices0 (0.4-1) from the ipkg feed for unslung. However, when I attempt to use ices with the PERL module I have, I receive this message:
            >
            > Initialization of playlist handler failed. [This binary has no support for embedded perl]
            > Ices Exiting...
            >
            > A quick search on this error reveals that I may be looking at a re-compile:
            >
            > http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=6799
            >
            > http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/trunk/ices0/INSTALL
            >
            > I know Ices does work on my Slug without attempting to use the PERL module, as I've tested it with Icecast, and it works fine.
            >
            > Please, please - would it be possible for the maintainer of the ipkg feed to add in support for PERL to Ices0?
            >
            > It all feels so very, very close...

          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2010
              I tried to build this package tonight but unfortunately Perl fails to
              build on my build system.

              Investigating....

              In message
              <AANLkTinL6G5YqVZaEQuhxTmdBBpAZ-3MKTsfBCMOblJh@...>, M.J.
              Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                I now have it built, sent by PM

                Message 7 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                     Thanks so much, Robert... will test this tonight!  I assume I'll first need to uninstall the existing ices package I have installed on my Slug.

                     What should the ipkg install command look like?  I can try:

                  ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                     ... but won't that just attempt to install the ipkg from the optware feed?  Should I attempt to explicitly specify the path to the ipk you sent me?

                     Thanks so much for your assistance!

                     - M.J.

                  On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                  Built for NSLU2 Unslung,  attached to this e-mail.  Hope that you receive it intact and it installs

                  Best Regards

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                    Unsure if you have to uninstall your current version, but suggest that
                    you do I think using ipkg remove ices0

                    then

                    login to a console screen as root
                    copy the ipk file to your NSLU2 disk somewhere, suggest the root
                    folder.
                    Navigate to this folder
                    then do a local install by typing ipkg install ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk

                    In message
                    <AANLkTimkK1ENZmMy7CRQe82ukQEYBOUJ3ccbCfdSXBZK@...>, M.J.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 13, 2010
                         Thanks so much, Robert.  I went ahead and attempted to install the ipk you sent.  Here's what I got:  I wasn't entirely sure how to install a local ipk, so I went with the following:

                      # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-1_armeb.ipk
                      Installing ices0 (0.4-1) to root...
                      Nothing to be done
                      Collected errors:
                      Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                      Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                         So, it looks like perhaps there is a version conflict?  Not really sure.

                         Again, thanks for all the assistance...

                      I now have it built, sent by PM

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 15, 2010
                        I think that the package ipk version number located in the build make
                        file needs to be moved from 1 to 2 to stop this, i.e. the build needs
                        to produce ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk

                        I should be back at my build machine on Sunday evening GMT so will
                        re-build and re-send. The package only takes about 5 minutes to build.

                        In message
                        <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J.

                      • Brian
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                          ices0 0.4-2 is in optware/nslu2 feed now.

                          -Brian

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 16, 2010
                               Looks like the feed may have been broken.

                            # ipkg upgrade ices0
                            Upgrading ices0 on root from 0.4-1 to 0.4-2...
                            Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                            wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
                            Nothing to be done
                            Collected errors:
                            ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Q7LCqs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk'
                            Failed to download ices0. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

                               I checked some other packages at random.  Each returned a 404.

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                                 Dang it.  Same result...

                              # ipkg install ./ices0_0.4-2_armeb.ipk
                              Installing ices0 (0.4-2) to root...
                              Nothing to be done
                              Collected errors:
                              Multiple packages (ices0 and ices0) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER.  Using latest.
                              Package ices0 md5sum mismatch. Either the ipkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'ipkg update'.

                                 I think the real problem here is we're getting md5sum mismatches. Any insight among the community on how to avoid?

                                 Thanks for the help making the build, Robert!

                              On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Robert Hammond <robham@...> wrote:
                              Whoops

                              I built both the old version and also the new version,  but accidentally sent the old version.

                              New version attached to this email

                              In message <AANLkTimTnQZ_h_EEpPp1u0GmLrmya6Gbp7wL6zmVcNIJ@...>, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> writes

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 17, 2010
                                For some strange reason cross/unstable is working but cross/stable is not.
                                The stable is just a symlink to unstable right now.
                                Will investigate when I have some time.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                                  I have never seen this before but over the years I have needed to used
                                  the force install option with some packages, needed to overcome similar
                                  problems.

                                  I think the command line should be something like :-

                                  ipkg install -force-depends path/package_name_goes_here.ipk

                                  If you type

                                  ipkg --help

                                  will give a list of the command line options.

                                  In message
                                  <AANLkTinGgqCSsOrEQu_moi5NW3JpM1HDFk9wiMnFjsak@...>, M.J.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 18, 2010
                                       I managed to get the binary from the "unstable" optware ipkg feed.  The new ices0 build is working perfectly with my Perl script.

                                       Thanks for the extended amount of support from this community, and especially from Robert and Brian.  I'm extremely grateful to have this technical problem well in hand now.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 23, 2010
                                         I was able to install the ices0 package from the "unstable" optware feed.  I had to download it manually, and then install locally from the command line.  I wasn't able to get the package you built on my behalf to install from the local build - but I still greatly appreciate the effort.

                                         Thank you so much for the follow up!