Trying to install debian on an NSLU2

  • Don Sharp
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 24, 2010
      Hello

      I am trying to upgrade an NSLU2 with unslung firmware following the
      suggestions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html.

      The NSLU2 was some time ago flashed with the unslung firmware and has
      no external storage.

      Under the heading "Boot the system" I put the slug into upgrade mode
      and tried writing the lenny firmware with the command

      # upslug2 -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
      [no NSLU2 machines found in upgrade mode]

      I then try

      # upslug2 --target="00:0F:66:7F:95:31" \
      -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
      Upgrading LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31
      . original flash contents * packet timed out
      ! being erased - erased
      u being upgraded U upgraded
      v being verified V verified

      Display:

      * 0+000000 ........................................................

      Hangs with above message on screen. I left the process running for 15
      minutes and the slug's ethernet light was gaily flashing away, so a
      conversation was in progress. I am assuming that there was an infinite
      retry sequence in progress. When power-cycled the slug happily boots
      into its unslung linux.

      I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to try next. The message
      that I am seeing is not the one shown on
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
      The zero offset is probably trying to tell me something but I would
      appreciate some help in making progress.

      Is jffs2 perhaps a factor here?

      I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

      TIA

      Don Sharp
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2010
        Don Sharp wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I am trying to upgrade an NSLU2 with unslung firmware following the
        > suggestions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html.
        >
        > The NSLU2 was some time ago flashed with the unslung firmware and has
        > no external storage.
        >
        > Under the heading "Boot the system" I put the slug into upgrade mode
        > and tried writing the lenny firmware with the command
        >
        > # upslug2 -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
        > [no NSLU2 machines found in upgrade mode]

        The message is telling the truth :) So either your network cable is
        damaged, or the NSLU2 is not on the same network as your host (the
        upgrade protocol will not pass through firewalls or through routers
        (this means *through* a router, it passes freely between the various
        ports on the switch built into the typical home router/firewall
        appliance)) -- or your NSLU2 is not, in fact, in upgrade mode.

        How did you enter upgrade mode?
        -Mike (mwester)

        > I then try
        >
        > # upslug2 --target="00:0F:66:7F:95:31" \
        > -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
        > Upgrading LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31
        > . original flash contents * packet timed out
        > ! being erased - erased
        > u being upgraded U upgraded
        > v being verified V verified
        >
        > Display:
        >
        > * 0+000000 ........................................................
        >
        > Hangs with above message on screen. I left the process running for 15
        > minutes and the slug's ethernet light was gaily flashing away, so a
        > conversation was in progress. I am assuming that there was an infinite
        > retry sequence in progress. When power-cycled the slug happily boots
        > into its unslung linux.
        >
        > I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to try next. The message
        > that I am seeing is not the one shown on
        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
        > The zero offset is probably trying to tell me something but I would
        > appreciate some help in making progress.
        >
        > Is jffs2 perhaps a factor here?
        >
        > I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Don Sharp

      • Don Sharp
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2010
          On 26 April 2010 14:33, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

          Don Sharp wrote:
          > Hello
          >
          > I am trying to upgrade an NSLU2 with unslung firmware following the
          > suggestions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html.
          >
          > The NSLU2 was some time ago flashed with the unslung firmware and has
          > no external storage.
          >
          > Under the heading "Boot the system" I put the slug into upgrade mode
          > and tried writing the lenny firmware with the command
          >
          > # upslug2 -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
          > [no NSLU2 machines found in upgrade mode]

          The message is telling the truth :) So either your network cable is
          damaged, or the NSLU2 is not on the same network as your host (the
          upgrade protocol will not pass through firewalls or through routers
          (this means *through* a router, it passes freely between the various
          ports on the switch built into the typical home router/firewall
          appliance)) -- or your NSLU2 is not, in fact, in upgrade mode.

          How did you enter upgrade mode?
          -Mike (mwester)

          Powered up with reset button depressed.

          The two machines are attached to different interconnected switches. This may be at the core of the problem and I will investigate this as soon as I get a chance.

          Thank you very much for the information. I'll update the list as soon as I get the chance to try both machines on the same switch.

          TVM

          Don Sharp

          > I then try
          >
          > # upslug2 --target="00:0F:66:7F:95:31" \
          > -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
          > Upgrading LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31
          > . original flash contents * packet timed out
          > ! being erased - erased
          > u being upgraded U upgraded
          > v being verified V verified
          >
          > Display:
          >
          > * 0+000000 ........................................................
          >
          > Hangs with above message on screen. I left the process running for 15
          > minutes and the slug's ethernet light was gaily flashing away, so a
          > conversation was in progress. I am assuming that there was an infinite
          > retry sequence in progress. When power-cycled the slug happily boots
          > into its unslung linux.
          >
          > I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to try next. The message
          > that I am seeing is not the one shown on
          > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
          > The zero offset is probably trying to tell me something but I would
          > appreciate some help in making progress.
          >
          > Is jffs2 perhaps a factor here?
          >
          > I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Don Sharp

        • Don Sharp
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2010

            Don Sharp wrote:
            > Hello
            >
            > I am trying to upgrade an NSLU2 with unslung firmware following the
            > suggestions on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html.
            >
            > The NSLU2 was some time ago flashed with the unslung firmware and has
            > no external storage.
            >
            > Under the heading "Boot the system" I put the slug into upgrade mode
            > and tried writing the lenny firmware with the command
            >
            > # upslug2 -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
            > [no NSLU2 machines found in upgrade mode]

            The message is telling the truth :) So either your network cable is
            damaged, or the NSLU2 is not on the same network as your host (the
            upgrade protocol will not pass through firewalls or through routers
            (this means *through* a router, it passes freely between the various
            ports on the switch built into the typical home router/firewall
            appliance)) -- or your NSLU2 is not, in fact, in upgrade mode.

            How did you enter upgrade mode?
            -Mike (mwester)

            Powered up with reset button depressed.

            The two machines are attached to different interconnected switches. This may be at the core of the problem and I will investigate this as soon as I get a chance.

            Thank you very much for the information. I'll update the list as soon as I get the chance to try both machines on the same switch.

            TVM

            Don Sharp

            Connected linux host and slug to the same switch. Put slug in upgrade mode.

            # upslug2
            LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31 Product ID: 1 Protocol ID:0 Firmware Version: R23V29 [0x2329]
            # upslug2 -i nslu2debfirmware_sda2-2.6.26-19
            LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31 Product ID: 1 Protocol ID:0 Firmware Version: R23V29 [0x2329]
            Upgrading LKG7F9531 00:0f:66:7f:95:31
                . original flash contents  * packet timed out
                ! being erased             - erased
                u being upgraded           U upgraded
                v being verified           V verified

              Display:

              7fffff+000000 ...VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
            Rebooting... done

            Hooray!

            Thank you very much indeed for showing me the way.

            Don Sharp