Can you fatten my slugs?

  • Kolbjørn Barmen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
      I'm looking for someone to fatten my three slugs :)

      I have earlier tried a similar project, but it only made my realize that
      I neither have the skills nor the equipment for it, so I gladly pay for
      someone else to do it.

      So, anyone here able and willing?

      -- kolla
    • j
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
        Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
        > I'm looking for someone to fatten my three slugs :)

        why not just buy something like the asus WL500GP ?
        cost is about the same as with the extra memory, and it has everything
        else already there, faster cpu, switch and wifi as well.
        Then you have a commercial product you can just program instead of some
        hand soldered junk with marginal cooling.

        or a shiva plug might be more suited - no comparison even in
        capabilities for roughly the same cost.

        nslug is a great piece of hardware but compared to some of the newer
        stuff out there I wouldn't pay more than $10 for a slug now since they
        are just an older generation of technology where you have to fight to
        reprogram it instead of something designed for that from the get go.

        > I have earlier tried a similar project, but it only made my realize that
        > I neither have the skills nor the equipment for it, so I gladly pay for
        > someone else to do it.
        >
        > So, anyone here able and willing?
        >
        > -- kolla

      • Kolbjørn Barmen
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
          On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, j wrote:

          > Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
          > > I'm looking for someone to fatten my three slugs :)
          > >

          > why not just buy something like the asus WL500GP ?

          Because I already got an WL500GX (+WLHDD and more) to cover my MIPS needs?

          Yes, the sheevaplug is nice, but I'd rather have the geekplug. And since
          I'm a weirdo I might even get the OpenRD too, since it spesifically says
          that is supports bigendian mode, which I for mysterious reasons like to
          build gentoo packages for.

          Really, you dont need to resque me out of my insanity :)

          -- kolla
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
            :) I'm with you! I have done the conversion on a few slugs and must tell you, it is neither easy or cheap. The memory chips cost about $50CDN and it takes about 2 hours to do it by hand. It then takes testing to ensure that all is well. There are no heat issues by the way.

            The processor used has limitations that make it necessary to limit memory usage to 128M maximum. That said, my 256M one has never had any problems. 128M is enough to eliminate all swapping for typical use. I have had apache, vsftpd, samba all running while compiling a kernel on a 128M slug and it worked without swapping.

            I did a number of conversions for people some years ago. I hope they have worked for them; I never heard back and prefer to assume the best. :)

            This is all detailed in the wiki in various places.

            Steve

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kolbjørn Barmen <nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, j wrote:
            >
            > > Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:
            > > > I'm looking for someone to fatten my three slugs :)
            > > >

            > > why not just buy something like the asus WL500GP ?
            >
            > Because I already got an WL500GX (+WLHDD and more) to cover my MIPS needs?
            >
            > Yes, the sheevaplug is nice, but I'd rather have the geekplug. And since
            > I'm a weirdo I might even get the OpenRD too, since it spesifically says
            > that is supports bigendian mode, which I for mysterious reasons like to
            > build gentoo packages for.
            >
            > Really, you dont need to resque me out of my insanity :)
            >
            > -- kolla

          • j
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
              Steve wrote:

              why don't you just go buy a few hundred thousand 2n2222's before they go
              totally extinct and start soldering ?
              much easier to solder than the smd stuff.

              > :) I'm with you! I have done the conversion on a few slugs and must tell you, it is neither easy or cheap. The memory chips cost about $50CDN and it takes about 2 hours to do it by hand. It then takes testing to ensure that all is well. There are no heat issues by the way.
              >
              > The processor used has limitations that make it necessary to limit memory usage to 128M maximum. That said, my 256M one has never had any problems. 128M is enough to eliminate all swapping for typical use. I have had apache, vsftpd, samba all running while compiling a kernel on a 128M slug and it worked without swapping.
              >
              > I did a number of conversions for people some years ago. I hope they have worked for them; I never heard back and prefer to assume the best. :)
              >
              > This is all detailed in the wiki in various places.
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Kolbjørn Barmen <nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

              >>> why not just buy something like the asus WL500GP ?
              >>>
              >> Because I already got an WL500GX (+WLHDD and more) to cover my MIPS needs?
              >>
              >> Yes, the sheevaplug is nice, but I'd rather have the geekplug. And since
              >> I'm a weirdo I might even get the OpenRD too, since it spesifically says
              >> that is supports bigendian mode, which I for mysterious reasons like to
              >> build gentoo packages for.
              >>
              >> Really, you dont need to resque me out of my insanity :)
              >>
              >> -- kolla

            • TimeCode
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 25, 2010
                Hi guise,

                I have 3 memory chips for sale at €1 each. I just don't need them so take it if you need. Paypal accepted, etc.

                TC