Re: [nslu2-linux] Poor man's iolan?

  • DaylanDarby
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20 6:26 PM
      Completely embedded? I thought that all but the original linksys was too
      big to fit entirely within the Slug?

      Note I wanted both USB ports for iolan (not one for USB stick/drive
      holding OS).

      Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:

      > DaylanDarby wrote:
      > > I'm looking to convert one of my slugs to a poor man's iolan (with 2
      > USB
      > > ports).
      > >
      > > I figure to do this I need 'screen' (or equivalent) and serial and
      > > network drivers - nothing else.
      > >
      > > Has anyone been able to embed a stripped down debian on the box itself
      > > (no external drives)?
      > >
      > > If so I'd like a pointer to your URL or information on how to do this.
      > >

      > This is pretty much what SlugOS does. OpenWRT will also do the job.
      >
      > -Mike (mwester)

    • Mark Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20 8:20 PM
        Openwrt will definitely work for what you are trying to do.  It will fit just fine in the on board memory.  If by an iolan you are simply trying to accomplish serial to ethernet conversion, then simply install openwrt, and use the built in package manager to install ser2net as was mentioned before and you will be able to use both usb ports for usb to serial adapters.  I've done this many, many times and it works great.  Only hiccup is making sure you install the correct kernel models for your usb dongles, but you can do that with the package manager also.

        On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, DaylanDarby <DaylanDarby@...> wrote:
        Completely embedded? I thought that all but the original linksys was too
        big to fit entirely within the Slug?

        Note I wanted both USB ports for iolan (not one for USB stick/drive
        holding OS).

        Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:

        > DaylanDarby wrote:
        > > I'm looking to convert one of my slugs to a poor man's iolan (with 2
        > USB
        > > ports).
        > >
        > > I figure to do this I need 'screen' (or equivalent) and serial and
        > > network drivers - nothing else.
        > >
        > > Has anyone been able to embed a stripped down debian on the box itself
        > > (no external drives)?
        > >
        > > If so I'd like a pointer to your URL or information on how to do this.
        > >

        > This is pretty much what SlugOS does. OpenWRT will also do the job.
        >
        > -Mike (mwester)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           nslu2-linux-digest@yahoogroups.com
           nslu2-linux-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • CORNELIU DOBAN
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 21 8:28 AM
          I'm using SugOS on memstick (but I suppose it will fit in the 8MB internal flash if desired) with "screen" and "picocom" to connect to a SheevaPlug serial to usb adaptor.

          The installation steps are posted here:
          http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=124.0

          Regards,
          Corneliu

             http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/nslu2- linux/join
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             nslu2-linux- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
             nslu2-linux- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

             http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21 8:44 AM
            You can also put a USB stick on an unused USB port inside. It works well for me and keeps the external ones free. It requires soldering etc but the details are on the wiki. Static precautions of course :)
            Steve

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21 4:36 PM
              Exactly the use for which I wanted. One slug as terminal server for two
              SheevaPlugs.
              (I didn't even think to look on the plugcomputer site for a slug setup).

              Thanks
              Daylan