Configuring static ip on debian

  • guber1@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
      Hi, im triying to set up a static on my NSLU2 with debian, i have modified the interfaces file:

      # The loopback network interface

      auto lo

      iface lo inet loopback

      # The primary network interface

      auto eth0

      iface eth0 inet static

      address 192.168.1.77
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 192.168.1.1
      nameserver 87.216.1.65 87.216.1.66

      but when i reboot the NSLU2 the eht0 interface don't start and i can't acces to nslu2 by network i don't hot i have to configure this for the eth0 start automatically because with dhcp it starts OK. Thanks
    • DaylanDarby
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
        When you say "can't access" do you mean ping, ssh, or upslug2 (with
        NSLU2 in upgrade mode)?

        0) Purge 192.168.1.77 (and the NSLU2 Mac address from your DHCP server)

        1) Turn off the NSLU2. If "ping 192.168.1.77" responds then another
        machine on your network has that address. Change it's address or turn it
        off for now.

        2) Start the NSLU2 in upgrade mode
        (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode)
        and try upslug2 to identify the machine [BUT DO NOT UPGRADE]. If you
        can't identify the NSLU2 then you probably have a cabling or network issue.

        3) Power cycle the NSLU2 (get out of upgrade mode). Attempt to ping the
        NSLU2 with it's last known IP address.

        That's all I know. Good luck.

        dd