Re: [nslu2-linux] Newbie Here! - Is there any hope for modifying while using a PC

  • Drew Gibson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 1:29 PM
      As others have shared, you do not need a Linux workstation to modify the
      slug.

      (Wandering off-topic a little now but if it helps you get going ...)

      However, if you are only used to Microsoft Windows, it can be hard to
      get your head around the flexibility and lack of limitations that Linux
      presents. If you want to get the most from your Slug, get familiar with
      Linux using a "live" distribution on a bootable USB stick.

      Unlike Microsoft Windows, you can boot almost any machine into a full
      featured, fully functional copy of Linux from a CD, DVD or (better yet)
      a USB stick in seconds. If you use a USB stick with "persistent
      storage", you can keep your settings between boots, install additional
      tools and software, even install the latest updates while your Windows
      hard drive remains untouched and increasingly ignored. I use a "live"
      USB stick to recover my friends' Microsoft Windows computers from the
      inevitable viruses and trojans.

      Start with a 4GB USB stick,

      grab a Fedora live CD image here:
      http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

      download the Live USB Creator tool (for Microsoft Windows) here:
      https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

      and follow the instructions here:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Graphical_Method_-_Windows_or_Fedora

      Many who are used to Microsoft Windows find Ubuntu more comfortable.
      Fedora is the distro I'm most familiar with so I can only point you at
      the Ubuntu live CD here:
      http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

      hope this helps you get going,

      regards,