Re: [nslu2-linux] Newbie Here! - Is there any hope for modifying while using a PC

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
         Modifying the NSLU (a.k.a. "Slug") is a completely separate issue from what OS you might run on "client" machines that you want to connect to the device after you've modified the built-in firmware.  If you are looking to get started with a modification to the Slug that would still allow you to use some of its stock features (i.e. the web-based administrative interface), then I would recommend you consider going with the Unslung firmware variant.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage

         If you configure your Slug to use Unslung, even if you boot without the external drive the Slug will default to the built-in firmware.  I believe this is considered the "friendliest" firmware modification for inexperienced users.

         Many of the questions you may have can be found on the wiki.  I recommend you spend some time looking at the FAQs and how-to recipes found there.

      On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM, papaberean <papaberean@...> wrote:

      I have absolutely no experience with Linux, but i have been doing a lot of reading over the last few days about the pleathera of modifications that can be done. Only thing is, I use windows 7 and XP OS and I want to Modify my slug without loosing usability with Windows, Can it be done?

    • dystopianrebel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2010
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "papaberean" <papaberean@...> wrote:

        > I have absolutely no experience with Linux, but i have been doing a lot of reading over the last few days about the pleathera of modifications that can be done. Only thing is, I use windows 7 and XP OS and I want to Modify my slug without loosing usability with Windows, Can it be done?

        Another person has already provided some guidance and recommended that you read the NSLU2-Linux site to understand what the Slug is and how to install Linux on it. This Yahoo group discusses installing a specialized distribution of Linux on the Slug, not on your computer.

        You can install Linux on the Slug without changing anything on your computer. (You may of course also install a PC distribution of Linux on your computer. This may be what is confusing you.)

        The only other help I can offer is of less value. The word is "plethora".

        "Pleather" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleather#Plastic_leather) is associated with fetishism. We NSLU2 users are in no way similar to fetishists.
      • Drew Gibson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2010
          As others have shared, you do not need a Linux workstation to modify the
          slug.

          (Wandering off-topic a little now but if it helps you get going ...)

          However, if you are only used to Microsoft Windows, it can be hard to
          get your head around the flexibility and lack of limitations that Linux
          presents. If you want to get the most from your Slug, get familiar with
          Linux using a "live" distribution on a bootable USB stick.

          Unlike Microsoft Windows, you can boot almost any machine into a full
          featured, fully functional copy of Linux from a CD, DVD or (better yet)
          a USB stick in seconds. If you use a USB stick with "persistent
          storage", you can keep your settings between boots, install additional
          tools and software, even install the latest updates while your Windows
          hard drive remains untouched and increasingly ignored. I use a "live"
          USB stick to recover my friends' Microsoft Windows computers from the
          inevitable viruses and trojans.

          Start with a 4GB USB stick,

          grab a Fedora live CD image here:
          http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

          download the Live USB Creator tool (for Microsoft Windows) here:
          https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

          and follow the instructions here:

          http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#Graphical_Method_-_Windows_or_Fedora

          Many who are used to Microsoft Windows find Ubuntu more comfortable.
          Fedora is the distro I'm most familiar with so I can only point you at
          the Ubuntu live CD here:
          http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

          hope this helps you get going,

          regards,