Unusual trouble with loop.o

  • Thomas Schreiner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2010
      Hi guys,

      this does not happen very often, but I've run out of ideas.

      I am trying to mount an ext3 image via a loop device on
      unslung-6.10beta. Nothing fancy, I do that every day on my other linux
      boxes.

      1.) ipkg install kernel-module-loop

      2.) insmod loop

      3.) dmesg | tail
      EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on sd(8,2), internal journal
      EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
      Adding Swap: 120476k swap-space (priority -1)
      loop: loaded (max 8 devices)

      4.) lsmod
      Module Size Used by Tainted: P
      loop 8896 0
      [...]

      5.) mount /test.ext3 /mnt/backup -o loop
      mount: cannot setup loop device

      6.) strace mount /test.ext3 /mnt/backup -o loop

      [...]
      lstat64("/test.ext3", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=104857600, ...}) = 0
      open("/test.ext3", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
      stat64("/dev/loop0", {st_mode=S_IFBLK|0600, st_rdev=makedev(0, 0), ...}) = 0
      open("/dev/loop0", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
      ioctl(4, 0x4c05, 0xbffff7f4) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
      close(4) = 0
      [...]

      -bash-3.2# ls -la /dev/loop0
      brw------- 1 root root 7, 0 Mar 21 18:22 /dev/loop0

      Now I've seen many issues with loop devices: Wrong block device
      properties, wrong/no kernel module, ... but I have never seen "ioctl
      0x4c05" (LOOP_GET_STATUS64) failing.

      Does anybody have a clue what issue I might be facing here or how I can
      debug it further? Google doesn't know anything, so that I am tempted to
      migrate to Debian/NSLU2 because this issue is a blocker for my backup
      project. But I refuse to give up ;-)

      Thanks for any inspiration.

      --Thomas
    • tmp-nslu2@tschreiner.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
        Hi Yang.

        Y. Chen schrieb:
        > I would say go get Debian installed. Unslung's kernel is too old. I
        > Installed Debian on my nslu2 since Dec'09 and have never looked back.
        > Enjoy.

        I did it - and I enjoy it. I have not looked back either yet, except
        that it feels slightly slower than Unslung, and mem usage went up a bit.
        Sill, nothing to worry about. It feels great.

        Thanks very much.

        --Thomas
      • Harsh
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
          Hey guys,

          Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the performance of Lenny compares with SlugOS 5.3BE?

          I've never tried Lenny on the slug but I remember the perf difference I saw between Unslung to 5.3 was noticeably better for SlugOS 5.3 (cause of the relatively more modern kernel with a better scheduler I'm guessing). Although Lenny also uses a 2.6 kernel, since it is not optimized for the slugs form factor I assumed the hit would not be pretty and never tried it.

          -H