Re: NSLU2 vs WDTV Live

  • Hassys
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 24 6:00 AM

      Another very good replacement for the NSLU2 is the SheevaPlug.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug

      It's en excellent little box running a 1.2 Ghz arm processor, 512 MB SDRAM, 512 MB Flash and the ability to plug an SD-card to run the OS from instead for internal flash.

      I use this little box to host my SqueezeboxServer (currently hosting some 1200 albums) and it can easily be used as a webserver, fileserver, torrenthost etc.

      Specs (from wiki):
      Manufacturer Marvell
      Type Plug computer
      Release date March 2009 (2009-03)
      Operating system Debian (since rev. 1.2), Ubuntu
      Power 2.3w idle no attached devices, 7.0w running at 100% CPU utilization
      CPU 1.2 GHz ARM Marvell Kirkwood 88F6281
      Storage capacity External hard drive/SDIO card/flash disk
      Memory 512MB SDRAM, 512MB Flash
      Display none
      Connectivity USB 2.0, SD, Gigabit Network, JTAG mini USB
      Dimensions 110 x 69.5 x 48.5 (mm)

      /Me

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I just got myself a WDTV live and to my utter surprise, this also seems like a pretty hackable little 'puter. Its roughly the same size as the NSLU2, except has much more processing power and memory (http://b-rad.cc/974/wdtv-live-unboxing-undressing/comment-page-2/).
      >
      > Was surprised to also see this: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/wdtv/
      >
      > Which comes to my question - has anyone on this forum attempted custom firmware mods on this device and compared them with the NSLU2? Any plusses and minuses observed?
      >
      > -H
      >

      > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/

    • Harsh
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26 4:07 AM
        Yep know about the Sheevaplug. Its just that I didnt plan on getting a slug replacement. It just ended up being a happy coincidence that the WDTV Live filled that spot - along with being a generally awesome TV box too

        Another very good replacement for the NSLU2 is the SheevaPlug.

        http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ SheevaPlug

        It's en excellent little box running a 1.2 Ghz arm processor, 512 MB SDRAM, 512 MB Flash and the ability to plug an SD-card to run the OS from instead for internal flash.

        I use this little box to host my SqueezeboxServer (currently hosting some 1200 albums) and it can easily be used as a webserver, fileserver, torrenthost etc.

        Specs (from wiki):
        Manufacturer Marvell
        Type Plug computer
        Release date March 2009 (2009-03)
        Operating system Debian (since rev. 1.2), Ubuntu
        Power 2.3w idle no attached devices, 7.0w running at 100% CPU utilization
        CPU 1.2 GHz ARM Marvell Kirkwood 88F6281
        Storage capacity External hard drive/SDIO card/flash disk
        Memory 512MB SDRAM, 512MB Flash
        Display none
        Connectivity USB 2.0, SD, Gigabit Network, JTAG mini USB
        Dimensions 110 x 69.5 x 48.5 (mm)

        /Me

        --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, Harsh <harshbaste@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I just got myself a WDTV live and to my utter surprise, this also seems like a pretty hackable little 'puter. Its roughly the same size as the NSLU2, except has much more processing power and memory (http://b-rad. cc/974/wdtv- live-unboxing- undressing/ comment-page- 2/).
        >
        > Was surprised to also see this: http://ipkg. nslu2-linux. org/feeds/ optware/wdtv/
        >
        > Which comes to my question - has anyone on this forum attempted custom firmware mods on this device and compared them with the NSLU2? Any plusses and minuses observed?
        >
        > -H
        >

        > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo. com/

      • dystopianrebel
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 28 3:09 AM
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@...> wrote:
          > Another very good replacement for the NSLU2 is the SheevaPlug.
          >
          > I use this little box to host my SqueezeboxServer (currently hosting some 1200 albums) and it can easily be used as a webserver, fileserver, torrenthost etc.

          May I ask how much you paid for your Sheevaplug? I find them expensive -- three times the cost of a used NSLU2.

          Not that I foresee giving up my SLUGs anytime soon -- they are all (5) working perfectly.
        • CORNELIU DOBAN
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 28 5:47 PM
            $99

            http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-2-globalscale-technologies-products.aspx

            GuruPlug is available for preorder and add more usb ports, wifi and bluetooth and snap-io for the same low price $99.

            Cheers,
            Corneliu

            Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA
          • Hassys
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 29 2:09 AM
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "dystopianrebel" <dystopianrebel@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@> wrote:
              > > Another very good replacement for the NSLU2 is the SheevaPlug.
              > >
              > > I use this little box to host my SqueezeboxServer (currently hosting some 1200 albums) and it can easily be used as a webserver, fileserver, torrenthost etc.
              >
              > May I ask how much you paid for your Sheevaplug? I find them expensive -- three times the cost of a used NSLU2.
              >
              > Not that I foresee giving up my SLUGs anytime soon -- they are all (5) working perfectly.

              Where I live (Denmark) a new NSLU2 will cost you about 115 US$ (converted from DKK to USD via Google)
              I gave about about 172 US$ for my SheevaPlug. (bough it from http://newit.co.uk/)

              A used NSLU2 goes around 60US$.

              So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.
              I could foresee that the SheevaPlug would replace my 2 SLUGs, but that is, of course, just my point of view :)
            • reuter.rudolf
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 29 4:39 AM
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@...> wrote:
                > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.

                How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
                It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
                Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
                (http://www.cs-edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)

                You will find a comparison:
                2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
                http://blogdoch.net/index.php?m=03&y=10&entry=entry100307-154800

                A review for regular users:
                http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30936-seagate-freeagent-dockstar-reviewed
                Data transfer rate: Read Write MB/sec
                Using Dockstar 22.54 22.86
                Direct attached 32.49 24.52

                A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
                http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/

                Regards, Rudolf
              • Harsh
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 29 5:58 AM
                  I guess the real draw for the NSLU2 was (and will be) low cost and low power (low running cost). Its also a very robust little thing too. Its the main thing that probably makes it attractive to run a whole host of apps that dont need serious compute crunch but are nice to have running all the time. Its also likely the fun of implementing something on hardware with serious limitations that makes it more fun and forces one to be a bit more creative on resource usage.

                  Unless the alternatives score on the upfront/running cost, I wonder if they can really unseat the NSLU2. The WDTV Live seems to remain rather warm even when its turned off from the remote control because it goes into some kind of suspended state. Some firmware hacks try to mitigate this power waste by switching off power to USB/ethernet ports when in this suspended state so will give those a go too.

                  -H

                  > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.

                  How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
                  It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
                  Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
                  (http://www.cs- edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)

                  You will find a comparison:
                  2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
                  http://blogdoch. net/index. php?m=03& y=10&entry= entry100307- 154800

                  A review for regular users:
                  http://www.smallnet builder.com/ nas/nas-reviews/ 30936-seagate- freeagent- dockstar- reviewed
                  Data transfer rate: Read Write MB/sec
                  Using Dockstar 22.54 22.86
                  Direct attached 32.49 24.52

                  A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
                  http://ahsoftware. de/dockstar/

                  Regards, Rudolf

                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 29 8:39 PM
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148496&Tpk=seagate%20dockstar

                    $50.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@> wrote:
                    > > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.
                    >
                    > How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
                    > It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
                    > Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
                    > (http://www.cs-edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)
                    >
                    > You will find a comparison:
                    > 2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
                    > http://blogdoch.net/index.php?m=03&y=10&entry=entry100307-154800
                    >
                    > A review for regular users:
                    > http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30936-seagate-freeagent-dockstar-reviewed
                    > Data transfer rate: Read Write MB/sec
                    > Using Dockstar 22.54 22.86
                    > Direct attached 32.49 24.52
                    >
                    > A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
                    > http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/
                    >
                    > Regards, Rudolf

                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 29 8:44 PM
                      iomega iconnect is similar

                      http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-iConnect-Wireless-Station-34779/dp/B0035JCI6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269920632&sr=8-1

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN <corneliu_doban@...> wrote:

                      > $99
                      >
                      > http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-2-globalscale-technologies-products.aspx
                      >
                      > GuruPlug is available for preorder and add more usb ports, wifi and bluetooth and snap-io for the same low price $99.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Corneliu

                      > Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

                    • reuter.rudolf
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 29, 2010
                        Hello,

                        The DockStar is now on sale for $40 at:
                        http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

                        In Germany only 20 EUR (~$30) at www.atelco.de

                        Regards, Rudolf

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

                        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148496&Tpk=seagate%20dockstar
                        >
                        > $50.
                        >
                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@> wrote:
                        > > > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.
                        > >
                        > > How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
                        > > It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
                        > > Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
                        > > (http://www.cs-edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)
                        > >
                        > > You will find a comparison:
                        > > 2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
                        > > http://blogdoch.net/index.php?m=03&y=10&entry=entry100307-154800
                        > >
                        > > A review for regular users:
                        > > http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30936-seagate-freeagent-dockstar-reviewed
                        > > Data transfer rate: Read Write MB/sec
                        > > Using Dockstar 22.54 22.86
                        > > Direct attached 32.49 24.52
                        > >
                        > > A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
                        > > http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/
                        > >
                        > > Regards, Rudolf
                      • Tim Bishop
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 31, 2010
                          The Pogoplug v2 is on sale in the US for $48 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/. Pretty sweet deal, and pretty nice machine (1 Ghz ARM processor, 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB Flash). Unfortunately, the open source developer community isn't nearly as strong as the NSLU community, but there is a way to use the NSLU optware packages. I have mt-daap, mediatomb, samba, lighttpd + PHP, msyql and a bunch of little PHP apps running on it using OpenPogo. Furthermore, the Cloud Engines company does a reasonable job of releasing new features with their proprietary software.

                          Enjoy,
                          Tim

                          In Germany only 20 EUR (~$30) at www.atelco.de

                          Regards, Rudolf

                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

                          > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148496&Tpk=seagate%20dockstar
                          >
                          > $50.
                          >
                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Hassys" <hassys@> wrote:
                          > > > So yes. It's about three times more expensive (old slug vs new plug), however, the hardware is also at least three times more powerfull etc.
                          > >
                          > > How about the "Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar"?
                          > > It has 128 MB RAM, 3 x USB host, 1 x USB mini.
                          > > Price in Germany 55 - 83 EUR (74$ - 112$) incl. shipping
                          > > (http://www.cs-edelhof.de/ - www.amazon.de)
                          > >
                          > > You will find a comparison:
                          > > 2010-03-07 Gegenüberstellung Sheevaplug, PogoPlug V1/V2, Dockstar, GuruPlug
                          > > http://blogdoch.net/index.php?m=03&y=10&entry=entry100307-154800
                          > >
                          > > A review for regular users:
                          > > http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30936-seagate-freeagent-dockstar-reviewed
                          > > Data transfer rate: Read  Write MB/sec
                          > > Using Dockstar    22.54   22.86
                          > > Direct attached   32.49   24.52
                          > >
                          > > A description, how to open (hardware/software) the box:
                          > > http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/
                          > >
                          > > Regards, Rudolf

                        • Roland Gallinera
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

                            The Dockstar is on sale at local futureshop stores here in Canada for $29.99 CAD (around $27 USD)… I bought 2 and will be playing with it…. Being a newbie, I hope people would post some tutorials on how to use optware with it…

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
                              I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                              I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
                                Roland,

                                Where in Canada are you?
                                Here in Ottawa it is still for $90... :-(

                                Roman

                                Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 9:14 AM:

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010

                                  I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 1, 2010
                                    Thanks, I will check.
                                    Roman

                                    Roland Gallinera murmured, on 9/1/2010 8:18 PM:

                                    I’m in Winnipeg, it is tagged at $89.99 but when scanned it’s $29.99… better hurry, it may run out or price may go up by Friday (when prices usually changes)

                                    The Pogoplug v2 is on sale in the US for $48 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pogoplug-POGO-E02-Multimedia-Sharing-Device/dp/B0033WSDR4/. Pretty sweet deal, and pretty nice machine (1 Ghz ARM processor, 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB Flash). Unfortunately, the open source developer community isn't nearly as strong as the NSLU community, but there is a way to use the NSLU optware packages. I have mt-daap, mediatomb, samba, lighttpd + PHP, msyql and a bunch of little PHP apps running on it using OpenPogo. Furthermore, the Cloud Engines company does a reasonable job of releasing new features with their proprietary software.

                                    Enjoy,
                                    Tim

                                  • Mirco Piccin
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                                      Hi all

                                      > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                                      > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                                      Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                                      In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                                      Regards
                                    • Emil Granström
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 5, 2010
                                        Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.

                                        I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                                        Brg
                                         Emil

                                        On 2010-09-05 23:54, Mirco Piccin wrote:

                                        Hi all

                                        > I am in the same situation, I bought two here in europe for 20 EUR each.
                                        > I hope to use one as OWFS server, the other one possibly for NAS, webserver, and torrents.

                                        Emil, where did you buy the DockStar at 20 eur?
                                        In the store suggested by Rudolf (www.atelco.de), i find it at 24,99 eur..

                                        Regards

                                      • slackline
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                                          > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                                          >
                                          > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                                          From???

                                          Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                                        • Emil Granström
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 7, 2010
                                            I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                                            On 2010-09-07 09:06, slackline wrote:

                                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Emil Granstr�m <emilg@...> wrote:

                                            > Well it was EUR 19.90 when I ordered.
                                            >
                                            > I got two including shipping from Germany to Sweden for 69.80

                                            From???

                                            Mirco Piccin is probably keen to take advantage of the same deal, so one of those really useful hyperlinks/URL's for the store/page you bought it from would _really_ help them!

                                          • Matti Palmström
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                                              On 09/07/2010 11:50 AM, Emil Granström wrote:

                                              > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                                              Seems like Seagate is dumping the price now. Here they sell it for
                                              $39.99
                                              http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

                                              Which actually means I'll have to buy one just to toy around with :-)
                                            • Mirco Piccin
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 25, 2010
                                                Hi

                                                > I got mine from http://www.atelco.de/ but they have raised the price afaik,

                                                i've abandoned the idea to buy from adelco: the shipment cost is 30 eur (more than the Seagate itself...) !!
                                                I'm looking now for an used item..

                                                Regards