Re: Won't recognize my USBstick

  • clerew5
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2010
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "clerew5" <clerew5@...> wrote:

      > I have just installed slogosbe v5.3
      >
      > I formatted a USBstick on my old 4.8 slug, and created an ext2 FS on it. It behaves perfectly on my old slug (i.e. I can mount it and write files).
      >
      > But the new 5.3 slug refuses to recognize it even exists when I plug it in, although it is happy to accept my other fat USBstick that I have been using for years.

      As a further bit of evidence, the boot-up dmesg shows:
      "Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
      But I gather that is a well-known red herring and does not mean much.
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2010
        clerew5 wrote:
        > I have just installed slogosbe v5.3
        >
        > I formatted a USBstick on my old 4.8 slug, and created an ext2 FS on it. It behaves perfectly on my old slug (i.e. I can mount it and write files).
        >
        > But the new 5.3 slug refuses to recognize it even exists when I plug it in, although it is happy to accept my other fat USBstick that I have been using for years.
        >
        > On the old slug, /proc/scsi/scsi contains
        > Attached devices:
        > Host: scsi10 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
        > Vendor: pqi Model: IntelligentStick Rev: 0.00
        > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
        >
        > and fdisk-l gives
        > Disk /dev/sda: 1010 MB, 1010826752 bytes
        > 186 heads, 11 sectors/track, 964 cylinders
        > Units = cylinders of 2046 * 512 = 1047552 bytes
        >
        > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        > /dev/sda1 1 964 986166+ 83 Linux
        >
        > What more can I do?

        Are you mounting the partition yourself (recommended) or relying on the
        funky automounting feature in SlugOS to do it for you? The output from
        the "mount" command will be very helpful:

        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

        -Mike (mwester)
      • clerew5
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2010
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

          > Are you mounting the partition yourself (recommended) or relying on the
          > funky automounting feature in SlugOS to do it for you? The output from
          > the "mount" command will be very helpful:
          >
          > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

          Neither. It never gets as far as admitting that such a device as /dev/sda1 exists. It behaves as if you have never plugged it in (though it happlly recognises, and mounts, my other USB stick). My other slug (still on 4.8) happily mounts either or both of them.

          I even flashed 4.8 onto the new slug to see if it was some 5.3 problem, but that made no difference.

          So it seems that USB stick and that Slug just do not like each other, so it has to be a hardware problem somehow. Looks like next move will be to buy a new stick.

          The only think I have done with the newstick is to try to partition it in various ways, and put ext3 filesystems on it (all done on the old slug where it all appeared to work).

          BTW, is there any software available to restore the original FAT filesystem? I cannot find either mkdosfs or mkfs.msdos anywhere, and the brokeness of the package search engine on the NSLU website does not help there :-(,

          Is there anyway of forcing the creation od /dev/sda? AFAICS /dev/MAKEDEV is a dummy.
        • clerew5
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2010
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "clerew5" <clerew5@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@> wrote:

            > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
            >
            > Neither. It never gets as far as admitting that such a device as /dev/sda1 exists. It behaves as if you have never plugged it in (though it happlly recognises, and mounts, my other USB stick). My other slug (still on 4.8) happily mounts either or both of them.

            > So it seems that USB stick and that Slug just do not like each other, so it has to be a hardware problem somehow. Looks like next move will be to buy a new stick.

            And indeed I bought a new stick, and it works fine in both slugs (now done a turnup to it).

            But the old stick is still invisible to the new slug :- (.