USB Webcam Problem

  • karlsgodt
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
      Hi. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. I'm trying to install a Creative Labs Webcam Pro Ex on my NSLU2 with unslung firmware. I'm doing my best to follow the directions listed on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddUsbWebcam.

      I have installed the w3cam, videodev, and pwc optware packages with no problems, and run insmod to install the drivers. The /var/log/messages file says:

      Feb 18 22:52:02 (none) user.info kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: pwc Philips PCA645/646 + PCVC675/680/690 + PCVC730/740/750 webcam module version 8.11 loaded.
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: pwc Also supports the Askey VC010, various Logitech Quickcams, Samsung MPC-C10 and MPC-C30,
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: pwc the Creative WebCam 5, SOTEC Afina Eye and Visionite VCS-UC300 and VCS-UM100.
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: usb.c: registered new driver Philips webcam
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: pwc Creative Labs Webcam Pro Ex detected.
      Feb 18 22:52:07 (none) user.info kernel: pwc Registered as /dev/video0.

      Next, I run
      # vidcat -s 640x480 -d /dev/video0 -p y > /share/hdd/data/public/test.jpg

      The webcam light comes on, and I get no errors. The file shows up on the attached share drive as a 10kb jpeg file called test.jpg, but when I go to view it (in windows from a PC on the network), no picture viewer can read the file. It just shows up as a blank, dimensionless image. I've been scouring the web trying to find a discussion of this problem but haven't come up with anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    • David Powell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2010
        I tried using my slug once for a web cam. I tried several different
        cameras, and it seemed that some would work and some wouldn't. The ones
        that didn't work would only give me part of a picture, or a corrupted
        one like you got. I finally decided that the ones that worked probably
        had an internal memory buffer that could feed the frame to the slug at
        it's own pace. For the ones that wouldn't work, I figured that the slug
        just couldn't keep up with the data being fed to it because it was
        coming directly from the imaging sensor at a fixed rate.

        At least that's my theory. I finally lost interest and went to a
        different project. :^)

        --
        .