BUG in perl_5.8.8-23_armeb.ipk, Unslung 6.10

  • pxquim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19 6:14 PM
      Greetings,

      It's been a long time since I've had any software issue with my NSLU2 but today I decided to "ipkg upgrade" and run into a broken perl.

      Symptom: awstats (a perl script) stopped working with mysterious errors such as below (recorded for posterity to help the next searching soul):

      "Warning: Can't read file "status_http.pm" (status http detection will not work correctly)."

      After checking the script, I determined that the perl built-in "-s", which returns the size of a file in bytes, is broken and returns always 0. Therefore:

      $ ls -l lib/status_http.pm
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 u u 2083 Jun 21 2009 lib/status_http.pm
      $ perl -e 'print -s "lib/status_http.pm"'
      0

      (should have been 2083 bytes, not 0).

      The issue is in package perl_5.8.8-23_armeb.ipk from the source cross/stable, located at http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/perl_5.8.8-23_armeb.ipk

      I did try removing and then force-install the perl packages again to no avail.
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25 11:37 AM
        In message <hlngi7+119ad@...>, pxquim <pxquim@...>
        writes

        >Greetings,
        >
        >It's been a long time since I've had any software issue with my NSLU2 but
        >today I decided to "ipkg upgrade" and run into a broken perl.
        >
        >Symptom: awstats (a perl script) stopped working with mysterious errors
        >such as below (recorded for posterity to help the next searching soul):
        >
        >"Warning: Can't read file "status_http.pm" (status http detection will not
        >work correctly)."
        >
        >After checking the script, I determined that the perl built-in "-s", which
        >returns the size of a file in bytes, is broken and returns always 0.
        >Therefore:
        >
        >$ ls -l lib/status_http.pm
        >-rwxr-xr-x 1 u u 2083 Jun 21 2009 lib/status_http.pm
        >$ perl -e 'print -s "lib/status_http.pm"'
        >0
        >
        >(should have been 2083 bytes, not 0).
        >
        >The issue is in package perl_5.8.8-23_armeb.ipk from the source
        >cross/stable, located at http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/
        >cross/stable/perl_5.8.8-23_armeb.ipk
        >I did try removing and then force-install the perl packages again to no avail.

        Another user also reported this problem about 4 weeks ago, not too sure
        which forum the message thread is in. The file size function returns 0
        rather than the correct file size. I think to date no one has tried to
        fix this fault.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA