Re: [nslu2-linux] Moving to SlugOS BE 5.3, seems very different

  • Mike Westerhof
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
      oabroad wrote:
      > Not sure how long 5.3 has been around,
      A bit over a year now.

      > I had played around with Unslung and 3.1 quite a bit but after dealing with a PSU failure I recently reassigned an old "box" and after toying with the idea of OpenWRT or something else more wireless-oriented I decided to go for a newer SlugOS for now.
      >
      > No specific goal right now, just trying stuff.
      >
      > Anyway darn the process has changed a bit, not sure what the three beeps are, beeps of doom or success? Couldn't get anywhere with a crossover cable, DHCP now seems pretty much mandatory unless there's a fallback IP other than 192.168.1.77, fortunately hooking it to a router port solved that...

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem
      should tell you what you need to know to get started and well on the
      way. Three beeps is good. The IP settings are preserved from whatever
      was set by Linksys, Unslung, or a previous SlugOS install - DHCP is not
      mandatory. If the settings in the firmware are corrupted or unreadable,
      I don't exactly recall the sequence -- I think it may default to DHCP,
      and the .77 if DHCP fails.
      > Somewhere I read that some opkg packages need fixing to work with busybox, is anyone actively working on that?

      Not sure what you might be speaking of.specifically. The aforementioned
      wiki article installs some of the full packages to replace the busybox
      utilities, there's no reason you shouldn't replace as many as
      necessary. Busybox is excellent, but with the large size and low cost
      of even the smallest USB flash drives, there's no reason to use it for
      anything much except that initial bootstrapping and install process.
      > Is there a build-environment package? the development package seems to have gone, which means figuring out what components I need?
      I fear this is the case. You'll probably find the information you need
      on the mailing list archives, as it has been discussed at least three
      times that I've observed now. But if that information isn't on the
      wiki, then those who were helped failed to live up to their part of the
      arrangement -- which is, as always, if one asks for help here, then one
      is obligated to put the answer they get on the wiki to help the next person.

      -Mike (mwester)