Moving to SlugOS BE 5.3, seems very different

  • oabroad
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
      Not sure how long 5.3 has been around, I had played around with Unslung and 3.1 quite a bit but after dealing with a PSU failure I recently reassigned an old "box" and after toying with the idea of OpenWRT or something else more wireless-oriented I decided to go for a newer SlugOS for now.

      No specific goal right now, just trying stuff.

      Anyway darn the process has changed a bit, not sure what the three beeps are, beeps of doom or success? Couldn't get anywhere with a crossover cable, DHCP now seems pretty much mandatory unless there's a fallback IP other than 192.168.1.77, fortunately hooking it to a router port solved that...

      Somewhere I read that some opkg packages need fixing to work with busybox, is anyone actively working on that?

      Is there a build-environment package? the development package seems to have gone, which means figuring out what components I need?
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
        oabroad wrote:
        > Not sure how long 5.3 has been around,
        A bit over a year now.

        > I had played around with Unslung and 3.1 quite a bit but after dealing with a PSU failure I recently reassigned an old "box" and after toying with the idea of OpenWRT or something else more wireless-oriented I decided to go for a newer SlugOS for now.
        >
        > No specific goal right now, just trying stuff.
        >
        > Anyway darn the process has changed a bit, not sure what the three beeps are, beeps of doom or success? Couldn't get anywhere with a crossover cable, DHCP now seems pretty much mandatory unless there's a fallback IP other than 192.168.1.77, fortunately hooking it to a router port solved that...

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/InstallandTurnupABasicSlugOSSystem
        should tell you what you need to know to get started and well on the
        way. Three beeps is good. The IP settings are preserved from whatever
        was set by Linksys, Unslung, or a previous SlugOS install - DHCP is not
        mandatory. If the settings in the firmware are corrupted or unreadable,
        I don't exactly recall the sequence -- I think it may default to DHCP,
        and the .77 if DHCP fails.
        > Somewhere I read that some opkg packages need fixing to work with busybox, is anyone actively working on that?

        Not sure what you might be speaking of.specifically. The aforementioned
        wiki article installs some of the full packages to replace the busybox
        utilities, there's no reason you shouldn't replace as many as
        necessary. Busybox is excellent, but with the large size and low cost
        of even the smallest USB flash drives, there's no reason to use it for
        anything much except that initial bootstrapping and install process.
        > Is there a build-environment package? the development package seems to have gone, which means figuring out what components I need?
        I fear this is the case. You'll probably find the information you need
        on the mailing list archives, as it has been discussed at least three
        times that I've observed now. But if that information isn't on the
        wiki, then those who were helped failed to live up to their part of the
        arrangement -- which is, as always, if one asks for help here, then one
        is obligated to put the answer they get on the wiki to help the next person.

        -Mike (mwester)