Re: Slug as Time Machine

  • marbordom
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4 7:47 AM
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
      > - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your
      > example) "apple"? According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:
      >
      > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
      >
      > in afpd.conf take care of this for me? That is, shouldn't I be able to
      > authenticate as "guest"?

      The answer is probably yes: You should be allowed to connect as guest with the config from the wiki.

      Actually I am guessing here because I have not set up my afp server as a Time Capsule following this Wiki. My solution is based on a simple network setup sharing the user's home dir in which the sparsebundle resides. So I allow acess to the backup only to authorized users and not guests.
      1) after you allowed MacOS to use "any" network share as a time machine backup location with this command:
      defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
      you can mount this share manually in Finder.

      Afer this mount the network drive it is selectable in the Timachine setup.

      > - In section 2) below, in the line:
      >
      > /home/apple "apple"
      >
      > I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm
      > publishing through afp... correct?

      The user/password is the one from the user 'apple' on the nslu2, the share I called "apple" including the double quotes in the config
      e"

      So as a good approach you should mount the share as guest and check the permissions. Try to read/write a file on this Time machine share as guest. Also for some magic reasons you can re-create the sparsebundle and copy it again - I had to do this a few times myself.
      Good luck.
    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 13 12:54 PM
           Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine.  I followed the instructions:

        Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
        afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine

           I was challenged with:

        'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time Capsule".'

           I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf, and received the error:

        'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.'

           The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to allow guest access:

        "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so

           and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default

        /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"

           pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X.  I'm not sure if I'm up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:

           1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?

           2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?

           Thanks in advance,

           - M.J.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 16 10:28 PM
          I just tried this on my nslu2 running debian lenny

          1) It does not work when using
          AppleVolumes.default: /home/user "user"
          and the default afpd.conf
          2) It does work without authentication using
          afpd.conf: "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
          AppleVolumes.default: /mnt/directory "TimeMachine"

          In case 1) I get errno -1069 in the terminal or
          when using finder: Volume user could not be mounted
          Under 2) I used finder and connected via
          afp://ip address/TimeMachine

          as guest - and there it was !

          Hmm, what are the log files in your case
          /var/log/syslog has some info in my case.

          Otherwise it should not be too hard to compile under debian but the problem must have a simpler solution than that.

          Marc

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

          > Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even
          > connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine. I followed the instructions:
          >
          > Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
          > afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine
          >
          > I was challenged with:
          >
          > 'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time
          > Capsule".'
          >
          > I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf,
          > and received the error:
          >
          > 'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the
          > server name or IP address and try again.'
          >
          > The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to
          > allow guest access:
          >
          > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
          >
          > and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
          >
          > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"
          >
          > pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian
          > Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X. I'm not sure if I'm
          > up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung
          > 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:
          >
          > 1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing
          > authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?
          >
          > 2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm
          > willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > - M.J.
        • M.J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25 12:25 PM
               Accordig to http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html (under "Logging Options"):

            "Extended logging capabilities are only available if Netatalk was built using --with-logfile. As of Netatalk 2.0, the default is --without-logfile since the logger code is partially broken and needs a complete rewrite (the -setuplog option might not work as expected). If Netatalk was built without logger support then the daemons log to syslog."

               I checked in /var/log and don't see any netatalk*.log file, so I'm assuming netatalk has been compiled without logging enabled.

               Here's where I show my lack of *nix skillz: where would I find the syslog on an unslung system?

               - M.J.

          • M.J. Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25 1:02 PM
                 Okay - looking through /var/log/messages, I found these entries when the Slug starts up:

              Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [last]
              Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [cdb]
              Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [dbd]
              Feb 25 18:39:15 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Loading ConfigFile
              Feb 25 18:39:17 (none) daemon.err afpd[450]: main: atp_open: Address family not supported by protocol
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: ASIP started on 192.168.0.178:548(5) (2.0.5)
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: uam: loading (/opt/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_guest.so)
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Locale charset 'ANSI_X3.4-1968' unsupported, using ASCII instead
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: "No User Authent" available
              Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Finished parsing Config File

                 Then, when I try and connect over afp from my OS X client, I get these entries:

              Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[553]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64201(7)
              Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 553 done
              Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
              Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
              Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
              Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
              Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
              Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody
              Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: 0.14KB read, 0.12KB written
              Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 554 done

                 So, it looks like I'm getting permission errors when I attempt to login as guest, indicating either (1.) permissions are not setup for the TimeMachine share, or (2.) the permissions are not inclusive enough.  However, I have no idea if the permissions are native to afpd, to the system, or something else entirely.

                 I realize I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one, but I appreciate any ideas the community might have.

                 Thanks again.

            • M.J. Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25 1:44 PM
                   One more piece of information: although I can't recall explicitly doing so, it appears a guest account already exists on the Slug.  From /etc/passwd:

                guest:xqnMpE/plEnFs:501:501::/home/user/guest:/dev/null

              • M.J. Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                     Since I didn't see any response to my last post, let me ask a slightly different question:

                     How shall I go about changing the permissions on the share I'm looking to publish using netatalk?  Is it just a simple chmod to the directory?  I believe I tried this via SSH, but the permissions didn't take...

                • Drew Gibson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                    It's been a few years since I looked at the afpd and it's possible I'm reading the log entries wrong but it it might be an avenue to explore....

                    Is the afpd accessing the files as "nobody" rather than "guest"?

                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                    > Feb 25 18:46:28 (none)
                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                    > Feb 25 18:46:33 (none)
                    href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody

                    I wouldn't expect "nobody" to have rw permissions.

                    regards,

                    Drew