Re: Slug as Time Machine

  • marbordom
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010
      You need to mount the volume in which the sparsebundle resides manually before you setup Time machine for the first time ! Mac OS wont scan your network for it.

      Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
      afp://serverip/share
      After that you will see this volume in your selection for timemachine.

      Here the longer version: Basically this worked for me (on a DNS-323) but must work on a nslu2 as well.

      1) set up afp server
      I assume:
      username=apple
      homedir for apple=/home/apple
      nslu2 IP = 192.0.0.2

      2) in the config file AppleVolumes.default
      add line:

      /home/apple "apple"

      3) start apple talk server (afpd)
      4) create sparsebundle file
      I assume:
      hostname of mac computer=macbook
      MAC of mac computer=0023abbadead
      sparsebundle name=macbook_0023abbadead.sparsebundle
      5) transfer sparsebundle to 192.168.0.2:/home/apple
      Note: I transferred it tar'ed and gzipped and then uncompressed
      There should be a directory on nslu2:
      /home/apple/macbook_0023abbadead.sparsebundle/
      6) mount from mac osx the apple volume
      afp://192.168.0.2/apple
      7) setup Time machine using this Volume "apple"

      Sometimes Time machine wont mount the volume and you see a backup "delayed" message. I think that it is not bulletproof to use a non Apple Time Machine supported network drive but so be it...
      I experience that afp is more reliable than samba/cifs for time machine and prob. supports links and weird characters.

      Marc
    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010
           Thanks, marbordom... this seems very helpful, and I'll give it a shot tonight.

           A couple of questions:

           - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your example) "apple"?  According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:

        "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so

           in afpd.conf take care of this for me?  That is, shouldn't I be able to authenticate as "guest"?

           - In section 2) below, in the line:

        /home/apple "apple"

           I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm publishing through afp... correct?

           Thanks again,

           - M.J.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
          > - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your
          > example) "apple"? According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:
          >
          > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
          >
          > in afpd.conf take care of this for me? That is, shouldn't I be able to
          > authenticate as "guest"?

          The answer is probably yes: You should be allowed to connect as guest with the config from the wiki.

          Actually I am guessing here because I have not set up my afp server as a Time Capsule following this Wiki. My solution is based on a simple network setup sharing the user's home dir in which the sparsebundle resides. So I allow acess to the backup only to authorized users and not guests.
          1) after you allowed MacOS to use "any" network share as a time machine backup location with this command:
          defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
          you can mount this share manually in Finder.

          Afer this mount the network drive it is selectable in the Timachine setup.

          > - In section 2) below, in the line:
          >
          > /home/apple "apple"
          >
          > I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm
          > publishing through afp... correct?

          The user/password is the one from the user 'apple' on the nslu2, the share I called "apple" including the double quotes in the config
          e"

          So as a good approach you should mount the share as guest and check the permissions. Try to read/write a file on this Time machine share as guest. Also for some magic reasons you can re-create the sparsebundle and copy it again - I had to do this a few times myself.
          Good luck.
        • M.J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
               Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine.  I followed the instructions:

            Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
            afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine

               I was challenged with:

            'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time Capsule".'

               I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf, and received the error:

            'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.'

               The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to allow guest access:

            "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so

               and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default

            /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"

               pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X.  I'm not sure if I'm up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:

               1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?

               2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?

               Thanks in advance,

               - M.J.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
              I just tried this on my nslu2 running debian lenny

              1) It does not work when using
              AppleVolumes.default: /home/user "user"
              and the default afpd.conf
              2) It does work without authentication using
              afpd.conf: "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
              AppleVolumes.default: /mnt/directory "TimeMachine"

              In case 1) I get errno -1069 in the terminal or
              when using finder: Volume user could not be mounted
              Under 2) I used finder and connected via
              afp://ip address/TimeMachine

              as guest - and there it was !

              Hmm, what are the log files in your case
              /var/log/syslog has some info in my case.

              Otherwise it should not be too hard to compile under debian but the problem must have a simpler solution than that.

              Marc

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

              > Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even
              > connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine. I followed the instructions:
              >
              > Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
              > afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine
              >
              > I was challenged with:
              >
              > 'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time
              > Capsule".'
              >
              > I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf,
              > and received the error:
              >
              > 'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the
              > server name or IP address and try again.'
              >
              > The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to
              > allow guest access:
              >
              > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
              >
              > and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
              >
              > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"
              >
              > pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian
              > Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X. I'm not sure if I'm
              > up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung
              > 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:
              >
              > 1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing
              > authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?
              >
              > 2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm
              > willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > - M.J.
            • M.J. Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                   Accordig to http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html (under "Logging Options"):

                "Extended logging capabilities are only available if Netatalk was built using --with-logfile. As of Netatalk 2.0, the default is --without-logfile since the logger code is partially broken and needs a complete rewrite (the -setuplog option might not work as expected). If Netatalk was built without logger support then the daemons log to syslog."

                   I checked in /var/log and don't see any netatalk*.log file, so I'm assuming netatalk has been compiled without logging enabled.

                   Here's where I show my lack of *nix skillz: where would I find the syslog on an unslung system?

                   - M.J.

              • M.J. Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                     Okay - looking through /var/log/messages, I found these entries when the Slug starts up:

                  Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [last]
                  Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [cdb]
                  Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [dbd]
                  Feb 25 18:39:15 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Loading ConfigFile
                  Feb 25 18:39:17 (none) daemon.err afpd[450]: main: atp_open: Address family not supported by protocol
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: ASIP started on 192.168.0.178:548(5) (2.0.5)
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: uam: loading (/opt/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_guest.so)
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Locale charset 'ANSI_X3.4-1968' unsupported, using ASCII instead
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: "No User Authent" available
                  Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Finished parsing Config File

                     Then, when I try and connect over afp from my OS X client, I get these entries:

                  Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[553]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64201(7)
                  Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 553 done
                  Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
                  Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
                  Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
                  Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                  Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                  Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody
                  Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: 0.14KB read, 0.12KB written
                  Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 554 done

                     So, it looks like I'm getting permission errors when I attempt to login as guest, indicating either (1.) permissions are not setup for the TimeMachine share, or (2.) the permissions are not inclusive enough.  However, I have no idea if the permissions are native to afpd, to the system, or something else entirely.

                     I realize I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one, but I appreciate any ideas the community might have.

                     Thanks again.

                • M.J. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                       One more piece of information: although I can't recall explicitly doing so, it appears a guest account already exists on the Slug.  From /etc/passwd:

                    guest:xqnMpE/plEnFs:501:501::/home/user/guest:/dev/null

                  • M.J. Johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                         Since I didn't see any response to my last post, let me ask a slightly different question:

                         How shall I go about changing the permissions on the share I'm looking to publish using netatalk?  Is it just a simple chmod to the directory?  I believe I tried this via SSH, but the permissions didn't take...

                    • Drew Gibson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                        It's been a few years since I looked at the afpd and it's possible I'm reading the log entries wrong but it it might be an avenue to explore....

                        Is the afpd accessing the files as "nobody" rather than "guest"?

                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                        > Feb 25 18:46:28 (none)
                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                        > Feb 25 18:46:33 (none)
                        href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody

                        I wouldn't expect "nobody" to have rw permissions.

                        regards,

                        Drew