Slug as Time Machine

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2010
         Hello, all.  I'm running unslung 6.10, and have followed the instructions found in the wiki to setup a share that can be used as a Time Machine backup for OS X (10.5.8).  Based on these instructions:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TimeMachineBackups

         I successfully got afpd up and running (following the instructions in the section "Alternate Setup with AFP (Apple Filing Protocol)"), and then created a sparsebundle file in OS X using the instructions in the section "Basic Setup with Samba (SMB)".  I copied the sparsebundle file to a folder on a self-powered external drive running on USB port 1.  After restarting everything, I was then able to double click-the sparsebundle file and have the volume "Backup Drive" mount in OS X.  However, Time Machine still cannot see the mounted volume.

         Out of desperation, I did execute the command in OS X:

      defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

         ... after which Time Machine was able to see the root network volume (HDD_!_!_!), but still not the successfully mounted volume based on the sparsebundle I created.

         I realize that this question leans into the domain of OS X expertise, but nevertheless, the how-to exists on the wiki.

         Does anyone have (successful) experience getting this to work with a sparsebundle volume sitting on a drive connected to an unslung NSLU?  Could you share your experience?

         Thanks in advance.
    • pulse_and_saw
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010

        My Slug running Debian Lenny is successfully setup as a Time Machine disk.
        The biggest issue I had to overcome was with Netatalk, which I actually needed to compile from source in order to get it to work with OS 10.6 (authentication didn't work in the standard version). But since you're able to mount the disk that's all fine on your side.

        What user are you using for your Time Machine backup? That's the user you enter when selecting the disk in the Time Machine pref panel in OS X.

        It looks like your afpd config is pointing to the wrong directory. Could you check that? And have a look at the man pages for afpd/netatalk with respect to users and privileges too.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

        > Hello, all. I'm running unslung 6.10, and have followed the instructions
        > found in the wiki to setup a share that can be used as a Time Machine backup
        > for OS X (10.5.8). Based on these instructions:
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TimeMachineBackups
        >
        > I successfully got afpd up and running (following the instructions in the
        > section "Alternate Setup with AFP (Apple Filing Protocol)"), and then
        > created a sparsebundle file in OS X using the instructions in the section
        > "Basic Setup with Samba (SMB)". I copied the sparsebundle file to a folder
        > on a self-powered external drive running on USB port 1. After restarting
        > everything, I was then able to double click-the sparsebundle file and have
        > the volume "Backup Drive" mount in OS X. However, Time Machine still cannot
        > see the mounted volume.
        >
        > Out of desperation, I did execute the command in OS X:
        >
        > defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
        >
        > ... after which Time Machine was able to see the root network volume
        > (HDD_!_!_!), but still not the successfully mounted volume based on the
        > sparsebundle I created.
        >
        > I realize that this question leans into the domain of OS X expertise, but
        > nevertheless, the how-to exists on the wiki.
        >
        > Does anyone have (successful) experience getting this to work with a
        > sparsebundle volume sitting on a drive connected to an unslung NSLU? Could
        > you share your experience?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • marbordom
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010
          You need to mount the volume in which the sparsebundle resides manually before you setup Time machine for the first time ! Mac OS wont scan your network for it.

          Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
          afp://serverip/share
          After that you will see this volume in your selection for timemachine.

          Here the longer version: Basically this worked for me (on a DNS-323) but must work on a nslu2 as well.

          1) set up afp server
          I assume:
          username=apple
          homedir for apple=/home/apple
          nslu2 IP = 192.0.0.2

          2) in the config file AppleVolumes.default
          add line:

          /home/apple "apple"

          3) start apple talk server (afpd)
          4) create sparsebundle file
          I assume:
          hostname of mac computer=macbook
          MAC of mac computer=0023abbadead
          sparsebundle name=macbook_0023abbadead.sparsebundle
          5) transfer sparsebundle to 192.168.0.2:/home/apple
          Note: I transferred it tar'ed and gzipped and then uncompressed
          There should be a directory on nslu2:
          /home/apple/macbook_0023abbadead.sparsebundle/
          6) mount from mac osx the apple volume
          afp://192.168.0.2/apple
          7) setup Time machine using this Volume "apple"

          Sometimes Time machine wont mount the volume and you see a backup "delayed" message. I think that it is not bulletproof to use a non Apple Time Machine supported network drive but so be it...
          I experience that afp is more reliable than samba/cifs for time machine and prob. supports links and weird characters.

          Marc
        • M.J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2010
               Thanks, marbordom... this seems very helpful, and I'll give it a shot tonight.

               A couple of questions:

               - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your example) "apple"?  According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:

            "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so

               in afpd.conf take care of this for me?  That is, shouldn't I be able to authenticate as "guest"?

               - In section 2) below, in the line:

            /home/apple "apple"

               I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm publishing through afp... correct?

               Thanks again,

               - M.J.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2010
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
              > - In section 1) below, where should I be authenticating as user (in your
              > example) "apple"? According to the wiki instructions, doesn't the line:
              >
              > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
              >
              > in afpd.conf take care of this for me? That is, shouldn't I be able to
              > authenticate as "guest"?

              The answer is probably yes: You should be allowed to connect as guest with the config from the wiki.

              Actually I am guessing here because I have not set up my afp server as a Time Capsule following this Wiki. My solution is based on a simple network setup sharing the user's home dir in which the sparsebundle resides. So I allow acess to the backup only to authorized users and not guests.
              1) after you allowed MacOS to use "any" network share as a time machine backup location with this command:
              defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
              you can mount this share manually in Finder.

              Afer this mount the network drive it is selectable in the Timachine setup.

              > - In section 2) below, in the line:
              >
              > /home/apple "apple"
              >
              > I assume the name "apple" in quotes is the name of the share I'm
              > publishing through afp... correct?

              The user/password is the one from the user 'apple' on the nslu2, the share I called "apple" including the double quotes in the config
              e"

              So as a good approach you should mount the share as guest and check the permissions. Try to read/write a file on this Time machine share as guest. Also for some magic reasons you can re-create the sparsebundle and copy it again - I had to do this a few times myself.
              Good luck.
            • M.J. Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 13, 2010
                   Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine.  I followed the instructions:

                Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
                afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine

                   I was challenged with:

                'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time Capsule".'

                   I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf, and received the error:

                'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again.'

                   The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to allow guest access:

                "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so

                   and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default

                /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"

                   pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X.  I'm not sure if I'm up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:

                   1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?

                   2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?

                   Thanks in advance,

                   - M.J.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                  I just tried this on my nslu2 running debian lenny

                  1) It does not work when using
                  AppleVolumes.default: /home/user "user"
                  and the default afpd.conf
                  2) It does work without authentication using
                  afpd.conf: "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
                  AppleVolumes.default: /mnt/directory "TimeMachine"

                  In case 1) I get errno -1069 in the terminal or
                  when using finder: Volume user could not be mounted
                  Under 2) I used finder and connected via
                  afp://ip address/TimeMachine

                  as guest - and there it was !

                  Hmm, what are the log files in your case
                  /var/log/syslog has some info in my case.

                  Otherwise it should not be too hard to compile under debian but the problem must have a simpler solution than that.

                  Marc

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

                  > Well, after some additional attempts, it looks like I'm unable to even
                  > connect using afp from my Mac OS X machine. I followed the instructions:
                  >
                  > Finder-> Go -> Connect to server
                  > afp://192.168.0.178/TimeMachine
                  >
                  > I was challenged with:
                  >
                  > 'Enter your user name and password to access the file server "Time
                  > Capsule".'
                  >
                  > I attempted to login as guest, since that was how I configured afpd.conf,
                  > and received the error:
                  >
                  > 'Connection failed - There was an error connecting to the server. Check the
                  > server name or IP address and try again.'
                  >
                  > The only configurations I made were to /opt/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to
                  > allow guest access:
                  >
                  > "Time Capsule" -uamlist uams_guest.so
                  >
                  > and to /opt/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
                  >
                  > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine "TimeMachine"
                  >
                  > pulse_and_saw commented that he had to compile from source on Debian
                  > Lenny to get authentication working against Mac OS X. I'm not sure if I'm
                  > up for that (having never done so for any packages running on my Unslung
                  > 6.10 NSLU), so I'll ask the two questions:
                  >
                  > 1. Is there any knowledge among this community what might be causing
                  > authentication to fail against Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is what I'm running)?
                  >
                  > 2. Are there how-tos available that might assist me if I decide I'm
                  > willing to compile netatalk from source on my Unslung box?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  >
                  > - M.J.
                • M.J. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                       Accordig to http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html (under "Logging Options"):

                    "Extended logging capabilities are only available if Netatalk was built using --with-logfile. As of Netatalk 2.0, the default is --without-logfile since the logger code is partially broken and needs a complete rewrite (the -setuplog option might not work as expected). If Netatalk was built without logger support then the daemons log to syslog."

                       I checked in /var/log and don't see any netatalk*.log file, so I'm assuming netatalk has been compiled without logging enabled.

                       Here's where I show my lack of *nix skillz: where would I find the syslog on an unslung system?

                       - M.J.

                  • M.J. Johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                         Okay - looking through /var/log/messages, I found these entries when the Slug starts up:

                      Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [last]
                      Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [cdb]
                      Feb 25 18:39:14 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: Registering CNID module [dbd]
                      Feb 25 18:39:15 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Loading ConfigFile
                      Feb 25 18:39:17 (none) daemon.err afpd[450]: main: atp_open: Address family not supported by protocol
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: ASIP started on 192.168.0.178:548(5) (2.0.5)
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: uam: loading (/opt/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_guest.so)
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Locale charset 'ANSI_X3.4-1968' unsupported, using ASCII instead
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: uam: "No User Authent" available
                      Feb 25 18:39:18 (none) daemon.debug afpd[450]: Finished parsing Config File

                         Then, when I try and connect over afp from my OS X client, I get these entries:

                      Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[553]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64201(7)
                      Feb 25 18:46:23 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 553 done
                      Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
                      Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
                      Feb 25 18:46:27 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
                      Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                      Feb 25 18:46:28 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                      Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody
                      Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[554]: 0.14KB read, 0.12KB written
                      Feb 25 18:46:33 (none) daemon.info afpd[450]: server_child[1] 554 done

                         So, it looks like I'm getting permission errors when I attempt to login as guest, indicating either (1.) permissions are not setup for the TimeMachine share, or (2.) the permissions are not inclusive enough.  However, I have no idea if the permissions are native to afpd, to the system, or something else entirely.

                         I realize I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole on this one, but I appreciate any ideas the community might have.

                         Thanks again.

                    • M.J. Johnson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                           One more piece of information: although I can't recall explicitly doing so, it appears a guest account already exists on the Slug.  From /etc/passwd:

                        guest:xqnMpE/plEnFs:501:501::/home/user/guest:/dev/null

                      • M.J. Johnson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                             Since I didn't see any response to my last post, let me ask a slightly different question:

                             How shall I go about changing the permissions on the share I'm looking to publish using netatalk?  Is it just a simple chmod to the directory?  I believe I tried this via SSH, but the permissions didn't take...

                        • Drew Gibson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                            It's been a few years since I looked at the afpd and it's possible I'm reading the log entries wrong but it it might be an avenue to explore....

                            Is the afpd accessing the files as "nobody" rather than "guest"?

                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: ASIP session:548(5) from 192.168.0.183:64202(7)
                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login noauth
                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99) AFP3.1
                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                            > Feb 25 18:46:28 (none)
                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: afp_getsrvrparms(/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/TimeMachine): stat: Permission denied
                            > Feb 25 18:46:33 (none)
                            href="http://daemon.info" target="_blank">daemon.info afpd[554]: logout nobody

                            I wouldn't expect "nobody" to have rw permissions.

                            regards,

                            Drew