PIO problem using NSLU2 (Unslung) , HB 8 channel I/O (DS2408) and owfs - 2.7p28

  • eduardfreeman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
      I use a NSLU2 with unslung v6.10, owfs-2.7p28-1 and a Hobbyboards 8 Channel I/O (DS2408).

      The problem i have is that i only can change the PIO.BYTE option. The PIO.ALL
      and the PIO.0 to PIO.7 options won't work.

      I installed the Maxim 1-wire viewer on a Windows PC and connected the I/O board.
      With the 1-wire viewer software i can control all the PIO options.

      Today i installed Ubuntu with OWFS and was able to use every PIO option.
      So i think there is a problem with the current OWFS version available for NSLU2
      devices?

      Can someone help me solving this problem?
    • Eduard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "eduardfreeman" <eduardfreeman@...> wrote:

        > I use a NSLU2 with unslung v6.10, owfs-2.7p28-1 and a Hobbyboards 8 Channel I/O (DS2408).
        >
        > The problem i have is that i only can change the PIO.BYTE option. The PIO.ALL
        > and the PIO.0 to PIO.7 options won't work.
        >
        > I installed the Maxim 1-wire viewer on a Windows PC and connected the I/O board.
        > With the 1-wire viewer software i can control all the PIO options.
        >
        > Today i installed Ubuntu with OWFS and was able to use every PIO option.
        > So i think there is a problem with the current OWFS version available for NSLU2
        > devices?
        >
        > Can someone help me solving this problem?

        No one who has a suggestion/solution ?
      • Mike Westerhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
          Eduard wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "eduardfreeman" <eduardfreeman@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I use a NSLU2 with unslung v6.10, owfs-2.7p28-1 and a Hobbyboards 8 Channel I/O (DS2408).
          >>
          >> The problem i have is that i only can change the PIO.BYTE option. The PIO.ALL
          >> and the PIO.0 to PIO.7 options won't work.
          >>
          >> I installed the Maxim 1-wire viewer on a Windows PC and connected the I/O board.
          >> With the 1-wire viewer software i can control all the PIO options.
          >>
          >> Today i installed Ubuntu with OWFS and was able to use every PIO option.
          >> So i think there is a problem with the current OWFS version available for NSLU2
          >> devices?
          >>
          >> Can someone help me solving this problem?
          >>

          > No one who has a suggestion/solution ?

          You might try to provide a little more information for someone to be
          able to help you. You've told us it works on other systems, and we know
          what firmware you're running -- but you haven't mentioned anything about
          the failure mode or the tools you are using to test this. For example:
          "I'm using the following shell script to write a value to the PIO
          whatever-it-is that is exposed via the owfs mount point. When it gets
          to the "echo" statement on line 17, the script fails with a "permission
          denied" message, as you can see in the output below. The directory
          listing (included below) clearly shows that the PIO whatever-it-is file
          has "w" permissions for world.."

          A script (or code, if its not a script) would also be helpful for
          someone else to test. (I'm several hundred miles away from my slug, so
          it'll be a week or more before I can look to see what mine does; it's
          happily running owserver/owfs on the latest SlugOS dev builds).

          -Mike (mwester)
        • Eduard
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

            > Eduard wrote:
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "eduardfreeman" <eduardfreeman@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> I use a NSLU2 with unslung v6.10, owfs-2.7p28-1 and a Hobbyboards 8 Channel I/O (DS2408).
            > >>
            > >> The problem i have is that i only can change the PIO.BYTE option. The PIO.ALL
            > >> and the PIO.0 to PIO.7 options won't work.
            > >>
            > >> I installed the Maxim 1-wire viewer on a Windows PC and connected the I/O board.
            > >> With the 1-wire viewer software i can control all the PIO options.
            > >>
            > >> Today i installed Ubuntu with OWFS and was able to use every PIO option.
            > >> So i think there is a problem with the current OWFS version available for NSLU2
            > >> devices?
            > >>
            > >> Can someone help me solving this problem?
            > >>

            > > No one who has a suggestion/solution ?
            > >
            > You might try to provide a little more information for someone to be
            > able to help you. You've told us it works on other systems, and we know
            > what firmware you're running -- but you haven't mentioned anything about
            > the failure mode or the tools you are using to test this. For example:
            > "I'm using the following shell script to write a value to the PIO
            > whatever-it-is that is exposed via the owfs mount point. When it gets
            > to the "echo" statement on line 17, the script fails with a "permission
            > denied" message, as you can see in the output below. The directory
            > listing (included below) clearly shows that the PIO whatever-it-is file
            > has "w" permissions for world.."
            >
            > A script (or code, if its not a script) would also be helpful for
            > someone else to test. (I'm several hundred miles away from my slug, so
            > it'll be a week or more before I can look to see what mine does; it's
            > happily running owserver/owfs on the latest SlugOS dev builds).
            >
            > -Mike (mwester)

            Mike,

            To test the setup i use the OWFS website (owhttpd) on port 3001 or the following command:

            echo 1 > /mnt/1wire/29.402E00000000/PIO.2

            If you need more info let me know.