Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Need a how-to: Backup an Unslung System

  • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10 8:29 AM
      M.J. Johnson wrote:
      > cpio: ./root/.wymypy: Cannot open: Permission denied
      > cpio: ./.ext3flash: Cannot open: Permission denied
      > cpio: ./home/httpd/html/Management/.htpasswd: Cannot open: Permission
      > denied
      >
      > An attempt to use tar yielded similar results.
      >
      > What can I/should I do to create a full and complete backup of my
      > unslung drive?

      su to root (or try sudo).

      Knoppix boots up and logs you in as a normal user; you need superuser
      privs in order to read/write the data for the backup -- otherwise not
      only will you fail to copy all of the data, the copy itself will have
      the permissions and ownership of the files all wrong.

      -Mike (mwester)