Re: [nslu2-linux] Odd Disk Behavior

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
         Thanks for the quick response, Steve.  Alas, this is probably not my problem, as the drives are both Western Digital MyBook drives, which include powered enclosures.

         Other thoughts?

      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Stephen Miller <steve@...> wrote:

      This may be a power issue as it sounds like the Slug is freezing up. The power supply capacitors fail after a few years and need to be replaced. There is info on this on the wiki. This assumes that the drive is powered by the slug of course. If this is the case, then a way around it is to power the drive externally; the drive power supply will power the slug due to the way the USB power is done. Or rebuild the slug power supply (use good capacitors) or use another power supply. Hope this helps,
      Steve

      M.J. Johnson wrote:

         I've been happily using a 500Gb HDD in Disk1 with Unslung 6.10 on a 1Gb USB drive in Disk2.  Recently, I pulled the old 500Gb HDD (which had been mounting to /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1), and replaced it with a brand new, identical 500Gb drive.  (The data contents of the two disks are different.)

         I now find I'm running into all kinds of issues accessing the data on the new drive from my WinXP machine over the network.  The IP address has not changed, nor has the share name (HDD_1_1_1)... yet I get all sorts of strange hanging issues once I try to access the data through a Windows file explorer window that seem to freeze the little Slug and render it unusable.  Sometimes I can still SSH to the device, but issuing a reboot command yields no response.  Sometimes I'm unable to connect using SSH.  Even trying to power down using the physical power button on the device does nothing.  I end up having to unplug the Slug, and power cycle the thing to get it back up and running.

         What might be going on?  Is the problem something cached on the Slug that I should reset, or is it likely a Windows problem?  How can I better diagnose the issue?

    • redholm
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
        I had similar random behavior on my disk 2. I did an fsck it found a lot of issues and fsck fixed my problems.

        Did not find the root cause of what caused the disk issues bit I think it came from a laptop that had disk issues and some rsync jobs, at least slug disk issues stop happening after the laptop was fixed.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "M.J. Johnson" <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the quick response, Steve. Alas, this is probably not my
        > problem, as the drives are both Western Digital MyBook drives, which include
        > powered enclosures.
        >
        > Other thoughts?

      • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
          M.J. Johnson wrote:

          > I've been happily using a 500Gb HDD in Disk1 with Unslung 6.10 on a
          > 1Gb USB drive in Disk2. Recently, I pulled the old 500Gb HDD (which
          > had been mounting to /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1), and replaced it with
          > a brand new, identical 500Gb drive. (The data contents of the two
          > disks are different.)
          >
          > I now find I'm running into all kinds of issues accessing the data
          > on the new drive from my WinXP machine over the network. The IP
          > address has not changed, nor has the share name (HDD_1_1_1)... yet I
          > get all sorts of strange hanging issues once I try to access the data
          > through a Windows file explorer window that seem to freeze the little
          > Slug and render it unusable. Sometimes I can still SSH to the device,
          > but issuing a reboot command yields no response. Sometimes I'm unable
          > to connect using SSH. Even trying to power down using the physical
          > power button on the device does nothing. I end up having to unplug
          > the Slug, and power cycle the thing to get it back up and running.
          >
          > What might be going on? Is the problem something cached on the
          > Slug that I should reset, or is it likely a Windows problem? How can
          > I better diagnose the issue?
          Your symptoms sound like the device is running out of memory. If it
          used to work, and you've installed no software, and did no upgrades of
          existing packages, then perhaps the issues are caused by disk
          corruption. Remove the drive and check the filesystems on another system.

          If the enclosure for the drive is different, then there might be an
          issue with a different internal USB->IDE or USB->SATA chipset inside the
          different enclosures -- keep in mind that the kernel for Unslung is
          basically the original Linksys kernel, and dates back to when dinosaurs
          roamed the earth, long before the newer chipsets were supported by Linux.

          -Mike (mwester)