Maximum FAT32 partition?

  • M.J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
         I've recently upgraded a WD MyBook 500Gb to a MyBook 1Tb drive.  They're both formatted FAT32, with a single partition.  I'm running unslung 6.10 on a 1Gb USB thumb drive in the Disk 2 slot, and so I shut down my working configuration (with the 500Gb drive), unplugged the old drive from the Disk 1 slot, and plugged the 1Tb drive in.  Everything seems to start up fine, and when I navigate to the web configuration page, I see that my NSLU2 is unslung.  However, the UI indicates the 1Tb drive is unformatted.  When I SSH into the Slug, no device appears at /share/hdd/data.

         Is there a limit to the FAT32 partition size that unslung will support?  What am I doing wrong that is causing the new 1Tb drive not to appear?  It's been a while since I dropped a new HD into my configuration.

         Thanks in advance.
    • M.J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
           Anyone?  Largest supported FAT32 partition size?  I'd rather get a definitive answer before I begin re-partitioning my 1Tb drive...

           Thanks again.

        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM, M.J. Johnson <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
           I've recently upgraded a WD MyBook 500Gb to a MyBook 1Tb drive.  They're both formatted FAT32, with a single partition.  I'm running unslung 6.10 on a 1Gb USB thumb drive in the Disk 2 slot, and so I shut down my working configuration (with the 500Gb drive), unplugged the old drive from the Disk 1 slot, and plugged the 1Tb drive in.  Everything seems to start up fine, and when I navigate to the web configuration page, I see that my NSLU2 is unslung.  However, the UI indicates the 1Tb drive is unformatted.  When I SSH into the Slug, no device appears at /share/hdd/data.

           Is there a limit to the FAT32 partition size that unslung will support?  What am I doing wrong that is causing the new 1Tb drive not to appear?  It's been a while since I dropped a new HD into my configuration.

           Thanks in advance.

      • Paul Hutchinson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010

          "FAT32 supports drives up to 2 terabytes in size."
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310525

          Paul Hutch

          > Thanks again.
          >

          > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM, M.J. Johnson
          > <threeeyedtoad@...> wrote:
          >

          > I've recently upgraded a WD MyBook 500Gb to a MyBook
          > 1Tb drive. They're both formatted FAT32, with a single
          > partition. I'm running unslung 6.10 on a 1Gb USB thumb drive
          > in the Disk 2 slot, and so I shut down my working
          > configuration (with the 500Gb drive), unplugged the old drive
          > from the Disk 1 slot, and plugged the 1Tb drive in.
          > Everything seems to start up fine, and when I navigate to the
          > web configuration page, I see that my NSLU2 is unslung.
          > However, the UI indicates the 1Tb drive is unformatted. When
          > I SSH into the Slug, no device appears at /share/hdd/data.
          >
          > Is there a limit to the FAT32 partition size that
          > unslung will support? What am I doing wrong that is causing
          > the new 1Tb drive not to appear? It's been a while since I
          > dropped a new HD into my configuration.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
        • M.J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010
               Understood, and I have successfully formatted a FAT32 1Tb drive, so I know it is supported on some systems.  The question is, does the Slug care about the partition size?

               Another possibility:  does unslung 6.10 care about the sector size with which I formatted the FAT32 1Tb drive?