Re: Debian install with 2 new disks

  • phorrari
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

      > * Patrick Schekkerman <phill@...> [2010-01-01 21:55]:
      > > What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives
      > > (that santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for
      > > debian on a slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible,
      > > how do i make that happen?
      >
      > Depends what you mean by "treat two disks as one". If you want to use
      > RAID1 to mirror the two disks, you have to configure RAID. If you
      > want the two disks to show up as one large partition, you could use
      > LVM, mark the two disks as physical partitions for LVM and then make a
      > volume group on top of that.
      >
      > Both are supposed by the Debian installer.

      This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as: physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as: physical volume for LVM.
      Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very little, only that it should work.
      Any ideas?

      regards
      Patrick
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
        * phorrari <phill@...> [2010-01-04 17:38]:
        > This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started
        > the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as:
        > physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as:
        > physical volume for LVM. Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra
        > installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very
        > little, only that it should work.

        On the NSLU2, extra modules are not downloaded automatically (because
        the device has so little RAM). You'll get a screen towards the
        beginning of the installation where you can mark optional modules for
        download.

        Note: it's possible that the installer will run out of RAM when you
        try to use LVM. It's probably best to install to a normal partition
        and then (after the installation) create LVM manually with the
        remaining partitions.
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/