Re: [nslu2-linux] Slug uptime

  • Larry Howell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
      Harsh wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Was just wondering, what sort of uptime do you guys usually have with
      > the NSLU2? What is the longest its been run for in your personal
      > experiences.
      >
      > I power it down every night but would really rather just leave it on all
      > the time. The only thing preventing me from doing that is its hard to
      > get a hold of one of these things any more so I don't want to toast mine
      > on 90% idle time. I don't want to attempt a hardware mod for auto-power
      > on either - would just prefer to leave it running if I know its sturdy
      > enough to last.
      >
      > -H

      My slug has Debian Etch installed on a Hitachi 100 GB 2.5" USB drive.
      It's powered from a UPS and I only shutdown/reboot for
      maintenance/kernel upgrades. It currently shows an uptime of 437 days
      20:08 hours, which fits with the last kernel upgrade in Oct 2008.

      IMO, leaving the slug (or any electronic device) alway on is far less
      stressful than powering it on/off daily. It's also important to keep it
      well ventilated and in an area where the temperature is below 76 F/25 C
      degrees.