Slug uptime

  • Harsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi all,

      Was just wondering, what sort of uptime do you guys usually have with the NSLU2? What is the longest its been run for in your personal experiences.

      I power it down every night but would really rather just leave it on all the time. The only thing preventing me from doing that is its hard to get a hold of one of these things any more so I don't want to toast mine on 90% idle time. I don't want to attempt a hardware mod for auto-power on either - would just prefer to leave it running if I know its sturdy enough to last.

      -H

    • stanley_p_miller_qaz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Harsh <harshbaste@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,

        Was just wondering, what sort of uptime do you guys usually have with the NSLU2? What is the longest its been run for in your personal experiences.

        I never power mine down, they have both been up for about six months now since I had to work on the UPS they are plugged into. I run them both off flash drives and I have a hard drive plugged into one for my music system storage.
      • Matti Palmström
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
          On 2010-01-02 14:49, Harsh wrote:
          > Was just wondering, what sort of uptime do you guys usually have with
          > the NSLU2? What is the longest its been run for in your personal
          > experiences.

          I only power down mine when I do major updates or really have to. 168
          days is my best uptime until today

          /M
        • Larry Howell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
            Harsh wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Was just wondering, what sort of uptime do you guys usually have with
            > the NSLU2? What is the longest its been run for in your personal
            > experiences.
            >
            > I power it down every night but would really rather just leave it on all
            > the time. The only thing preventing me from doing that is its hard to
            > get a hold of one of these things any more so I don't want to toast mine
            > on 90% idle time. I don't want to attempt a hardware mod for auto-power
            > on either - would just prefer to leave it running if I know its sturdy
            > enough to last.
            >
            > -H

            My slug has Debian Etch installed on a Hitachi 100 GB 2.5" USB drive.
            It's powered from a UPS and I only shutdown/reboot for
            maintenance/kernel upgrades. It currently shows an uptime of 437 days
            20:08 hours, which fits with the last kernel upgrade in Oct 2008.

            IMO, leaving the slug (or any electronic device) alway on is far less
            stressful than powering it on/off daily. It's also important to keep it
            well ventilated and in an area where the temperature is below 76 F/25 C
            degrees.