Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian install with 2 new disks

  • Martin Michlmayr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
      * Patrick Schekkerman <phill@...> [2010-01-01 21:55]:
      > What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives
      > (that santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for
      > debian on a slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible,
      > how do i make that happen?

      Depends what you mean by "treat two disks as one". If you want to use
      RAID1 to mirror the two disks, you have to configure RAID. If you
      want the two disks to show up as one large partition, you could use
      LVM, mark the two disks as physical partitions for LVM and then make a
      volume group on top of that.

      Both are supposed by the Debian installer.

      > If it isn't, how do i get debian see the second disk? And can can i
      > still place /home on the other disk?

      Yes you can.

      Note that everything will work alright if you use RAID or LVM. But if
      you refer directly to the disks (i.e. /dev/sdaX and /dev/sdbX) you
      have to follow
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/troubleshooting.html#two-disks
      --
      Martin Michlmayr
      http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

        > * Patrick Schekkerman <phill@...> [2010-01-01 21:55]:
        > > What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives
        > > (that santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for
        > > debian on a slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible,
        > > how do i make that happen?
        >
        > Depends what you mean by "treat two disks as one". If you want to use
        > RAID1 to mirror the two disks, you have to configure RAID. If you
        > want the two disks to show up as one large partition, you could use
        > LVM, mark the two disks as physical partitions for LVM and then make a
        > volume group on top of that.
        >
        > Both are supposed by the Debian installer.

        This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as: physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as: physical volume for LVM.
        Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very little, only that it should work.
        Any ideas?

        regards
        Patrick
      • Martin Michlmayr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
          * phorrari <phill@...> [2010-01-04 17:38]:
          > This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started
          > the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as:
          > physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as:
          > physical volume for LVM. Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra
          > installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very
          > little, only that it should work.

          On the NSLU2, extra modules are not downloaded automatically (because
          the device has so little RAM). You'll get a screen towards the
          beginning of the installation where you can mark optional modules for
          download.

          Note: it's possible that the installer will run out of RAM when you
          try to use LVM. It's probably best to install to a normal partition
          and then (after the installation) create LVM manually with the
          remaining partitions.
          --
          Martin Michlmayr
          http://www.cyrius.com/