Debian install with 2 new disks

  • Patrick Schekkerman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi,

      First of all: Happy new year everybody!

      The first thing i want to do this year is getting my slug ready for
      the next decade of this century.
      At the moment my nslu2 Is unslung 6.8 with a 320gb harddrive in the
      usbport 2. This is because i used to have my printer in the first
      usbport. But i have another solution for that now. The disk is getting
      soo full that im not realy comfortable putting files on it anymore,
      wich is a pain because now those files are taking my computer and
      eating their way out from its inside.

      What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives (that
      santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for debian on a
      slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible, how do i make
      that happen? If it isn't, how do i get debian see the second disk? And
      can can i still place /home on the other disk?
      What is a good way to partition the disk(s), size-wise and how much
      space for swap is advisable?
      Then, what would be the easiest way to transfer the files that are
      currently on the old 320gb disk to one of the new 1tb disks? Copy them
      to my computer and then, once debian is installed, copy them back, or
      can i connect the old disk later on, just to copy the files?

      I tried to search all this stuff but i, as we say here, couldn't see
      the trees through the forest anymore. Maybe someone can help, advise
      or send me links?
      Hope you can help, thanks in advance.

      Kind regards,
      Phill
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2010
        * Patrick Schekkerman <phill@...> [2010-01-01 21:55]:
        > What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives
        > (that santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for
        > debian on a slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible,
        > how do i make that happen?

        Depends what you mean by "treat two disks as one". If you want to use
        RAID1 to mirror the two disks, you have to configure RAID. If you
        want the two disks to show up as one large partition, you could use
        LVM, mark the two disks as physical partitions for LVM and then make a
        volume group on top of that.

        Both are supposed by the Debian installer.

        > If it isn't, how do i get debian see the second disk? And can can i
        > still place /home on the other disk?

        Yes you can.

        Note that everything will work alright if you use RAID or LVM. But if
        you refer directly to the disks (i.e. /dev/sdaX and /dev/sdbX) you
        have to follow
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/troubleshooting.html#two-disks
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * Patrick Schekkerman <phill@...> [2010-01-01 21:55]:
          > > What i want to do is install debian and use two 1 tb usb2 drives
          > > (that santa gave me). I don't know if there is a possibility for
          > > debian on a slug to treat the two disk as one? If thats possible,
          > > how do i make that happen?
          >
          > Depends what you mean by "treat two disks as one". If you want to use
          > RAID1 to mirror the two disks, you have to configure RAID. If you
          > want the two disks to show up as one large partition, you could use
          > LVM, mark the two disks as physical partitions for LVM and then make a
          > volume group on top of that.
          >
          > Both are supposed by the Debian installer.

          This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as: physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as: physical volume for LVM.
          Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very little, only that it should work.
          Any ideas?

          regards
          Patrick
        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
            * phorrari <phill@...> [2010-01-04 17:38]:
            > This morning i flashed the debian image onto my slug, and started
            > the installer. At the partition disks part, I can choose Use as:
            > physical volume for RAID. But there is no option for Use as:
            > physical volume for LVM. Is this normal? Or do i have to load extra
            > installer components. Searching the internet i'm finding very
            > little, only that it should work.

            On the NSLU2, extra modules are not downloaded automatically (because
            the device has so little RAM). You'll get a screen towards the
            beginning of the installation where you can mark optional modules for
            download.

            Note: it's possible that the installer will run out of RAM when you
            try to use LVM. It's probably best to install to a normal partition
            and then (after the installation) create LVM manually with the
            remaining partitions.
            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/