Re: NFS writing poor performance

  • vasanag
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2009
      I tried without the sync option but again with no success.

      After a more careful look in the progress bar, on my UBUNTU machine,
      while writing a file, I noticed that file transfer speed is not
      constant. The progress bar stops, sometimes for more 1 minute in the
      same position. Seems that is struggling to write but something goes
      wrong!!!

      Any ideas?

      vasanag

      tlhackque wrote:
      >> # cat /etc/exports
      >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
      >
      > Try removing the 'sync' option.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:
      >> Gurus,
      >>
      >> I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
      >>
      >> To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
      >> min 15 sec.
      >>
      >> To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
      >>
      >> What is going on here? Am I missing something?
      >>

      >> ************
      >>
      >> On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
      >>
      >> # mount
      >> /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      >>

      >> # cat /etc/exports
      >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
      >>

      >> ***********
      >>
      >> On UBUNTU
      >>
      >> To mount the share
      >>
      >> sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
      >>

      >> TIA
      >> vasanag
      >>

      > ------------------------------------

    • vasanag
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
        I tried them but the behavior was the same.

        I am afraid that somewhere else is the problem. I mounted also to my
        NSLU2, a FAT32 formatted flash disk and I shared it through SAMBA and
        again I had similar writing speed problems. (more than 6 min for a 60
        MB file)

        As I noticed on a previous email, sometimes the writing speed becomes
        zero for more than a minute. It's like the NSLU2 is struggling to write
        to the flash disk!!!

        Do you have any ideas?

        stanley_p_miller_qaz wrote:
        > Try this set of options in your Ubuntu /etc/fstab file.
        >
        > noatime,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:
        >> Gurus,
        >>
        >> I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
        >>
        >> To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
        >> min 15 sec.
        >>
        >> To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
        >>
        >> What is going on here? Am I missing something?
        >>

        >> ************
        >>
        >> On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
        >>
        >> # mount
        >> /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
        >>

        >> # cat /etc/exports
        >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
        >>

        >> ***********
        >>
        >> On UBUNTU
        >>
        >> To mount the share
        >>
        >> sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
        >>

        >> TIA
        >> vasanag

      • vasanag
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
          Finally, I found out that the problem persists only with USB flash
          disks!!! When I connect an ext3 USB hard disk everything is working fine.

          Strange, isn't it?

          Thanks, anyway.