NFS writing poor performance

  • vasanag
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
      Gurus,

      I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.

      To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
      min 15 sec.

      To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!

      What is going on here? Am I missing something?

      ************

      On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10

      # mount
      /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)

      # cat /etc/exports
      /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

      ***********

      On UBUNTU

      To mount the share

      sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu

      TIA
      vasanag
    • tlhackque
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2009
        > # cat /etc/exports
        > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

        Try removing the 'sync' option.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:

        > Gurus,
        >
        > I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
        >
        > To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
        > min 15 sec.
        >
        > To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
        >
        > What is going on here? Am I missing something?
        >

        > ************
        >
        > On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
        >
        > # mount
        > /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
        >

        > # cat /etc/exports
        > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
        >

        > ***********
        >
        > On UBUNTU
        >
        > To mount the share
        >
        > sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
        >

        > TIA
        > vasanag

      • vasanag
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2009
          I tried without the sync option but again with no success.

          After a more careful look in the progress bar, on my UBUNTU machine,
          while writing a file, I noticed that file transfer speed is not
          constant. The progress bar stops, sometimes for more 1 minute in the
          same position. Seems that is struggling to write but something goes
          wrong!!!

          Any ideas?

          vasanag

          tlhackque wrote:
          >> # cat /etc/exports
          >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
          >
          > Try removing the 'sync' option.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:
          >> Gurus,
          >>
          >> I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
          >>
          >> To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
          >> min 15 sec.
          >>
          >> To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
          >>
          >> What is going on here? Am I missing something?
          >>

          >> ************
          >>
          >> On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
          >>
          >> # mount
          >> /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
          >>

          >> # cat /etc/exports
          >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
          >>

          >> ***********
          >>
          >> On UBUNTU
          >>
          >> To mount the share
          >>
          >> sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
          >>

          >> TIA
          >> vasanag
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

        • stanley_p_miller_qaz
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2009
            Try this set of options in your Ubuntu /etc/fstab file.

            noatime,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:

            > Gurus,
            >
            > I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
            >
            > To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
            > min 15 sec.
            >
            > To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
            >
            > What is going on here? Am I missing something?
            >

            > ************
            >
            > On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
            >
            > # mount
            > /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
            >

            > # cat /etc/exports
            > /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
            >

            > ***********
            >
            > On UBUNTU
            >
            > To mount the share
            >
            > sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
            >

            > TIA
            > vasanag

          • vasanag
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
              I tried them but the behavior was the same.

              I am afraid that somewhere else is the problem. I mounted also to my
              NSLU2, a FAT32 formatted flash disk and I shared it through SAMBA and
              again I had similar writing speed problems. (more than 6 min for a 60
              MB file)

              As I noticed on a previous email, sometimes the writing speed becomes
              zero for more than a minute. It's like the NSLU2 is struggling to write
              to the flash disk!!!

              Do you have any ideas?

              stanley_p_miller_qaz wrote:
              > Try this set of options in your Ubuntu /etc/fstab file.
              >
              > noatime,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
              >

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, vasanag <vasanag@...> wrote:
              >> Gurus,
              >>
              >> I am experiencing very slow writing speed on my NFS share on my UNSLUNG.
              >>
              >> To write a file of 40 MB from my UBUNTU machine to the NSLU2 I need 3
              >> min 15 sec.
              >>
              >> To read back the same file to UBUNTU, I need only 15 secs!!!!!!
              >>
              >> What is going on here? Am I missing something?
              >>

              >> ************
              >>
              >> On my NSLU2 running UNSLUNG 6.10
              >>
              >> # mount
              >> /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              >>

              >> # cat /etc/exports
              >> /share/hdd/data/USB_D1 192.168.2.*(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
              >>

              >> ***********
              >>
              >> On UBUNTU
              >>
              >> To mount the share
              >>
              >> sudo mount 192.168.2.2:/share/hdd/data/USB_D1 /home/anagnost/mnt/nfs_nslu
              >>

              >> TIA
              >> vasanag

            • vasanag
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2009
                Finally, I found out that the problem persists only with USB flash
                disks!!! When I connect an ext3 USB hard disk everything is working fine.

                Strange, isn't it?

                Thanks, anyway.