Re: older ipkg kits?

  • tlhackque
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2009
      I tried ./ as well as the absolute path to the package. ipkg still tries to download the v2 pkg specified by the feed instead of using the file...

      I don't have this problem when I build a newer version of a package; I have private versions of bind, dhcp, openssl that all use the file when I specify it.

      The strange behavior seems to be unique to the down-rev kit.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >

      > > Thanks for the clues. I built the package - details below.
      > >
      > > But ipkg now refuses to install it! If I say:
      > > $ ipkg install freeradius_1.1.7-2_armeb.ipk
      > > ipkg starts downloading the 2.0.5-2 package from the unslung/cross feed!
      > >
      > > I've tried -force-downgrade, even -f /dev/null. But (as demonstrated with strace) ipkg goes and reads the /etc/ipkg feed files & then downloads the 2.0.5-2 package.
      > >
      > > I note that this package has a 'recommends' for freeradius-doc; putting that kit in the same directory doesn't help.
      > >
      > > The only way to persuade it to use the file specified on the command line is to
      > > $ mv /etc/ipkg /etc/ipkg-x; ipkg install freeradius_1.1.7-2_armeb.ipk; mv /etc/ipkg-x /etc/ipkg
      > >
      > > This seems excessively hard - if I explicitly specify a file, that's what I want.
      > >
      > > Is there an option that I'm missing? If not this seems like a (moderately serious) bug.
      > >
      > > Other thoughts?
      > >
      > > Thanks.

      > > Here's what it took to build this package - I'll make a wiki HOWTO when I've dug out of the current crisis...meantime, perhaps this will help someone else.
      > >
      > > $ svn co https://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk optware
      > > $ svn log make/freeradius.mk | less
      > > # r8749 is the rev that upgraded from 1.1.7
      > > $ svn up -r8748 <-- We want the rev BEFORE the upgrading commit!
      > > $ cd optware; make <platform>-target
      > > $ cd <platform>; make directories toolchain ipkg-utils
      > >
      > > Build fails because crosstool 0.38 isn't available.
      > > Visit http://kegel.com/crosstool/ and find 0.43 is.
      > >
      > > Edit optware/make/crosstool.mk to get the newer crosstools
      > >
      > > $ make toolchain ipkg-utils
      > > Ignore lots of glib doesn't build unoptimized errors...
      > >
      > > $ make freeradius
      > >
      > > Depends on openssl, site is down. Modify optware/make/openssl.mk to use a mirror:
      > >
      > > OPENSSL_SITE=http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.openssl.org/source
      > >
      > > Depends on mysql - for some reason, the kit downloads into '.' rather than 'downloads/'.
      > >
      > > $ mv mysql downloads/
      > > $ make freeradius
      > >
      > > Curses! ncurses-5.6.tar.gz isn't on the distribution site. ncurses.tar.gz has 5.7. Fetch it, put it in downloads/ and update make/ncurses (which mysql wants).
      > >
      > > $ make mysql
      > >
      > > $ make freeradius
      > > $ make freeradius-ipk
      > >
      > > and freeradius_1.1.7-2_armeb.ipk is in builds/
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Optware package changes are all recorded in subversion.
      > > >
      > > > 1) Follow the instruction on
      > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware
      > > > to get optware subversion checkout;
      > > >
      > > > 2) Then do "svn log make/freeradius.mk | less" look for the commit that upgrades it from 1.1.7, in this case it's 8749;
      > > >
      > > > 3) You'd want to "turn back the clock"
      > > > The command probably is "svn up -r8749"
      > > >
      > > > 4) Build toolchain, and try to build the package
      > > >
      > > > I think I've noticed that in order to build unslung toolchain, you'd need host gcc 3.x

    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2009
        Yeah, it does that when it thinks it has "better" information in the
        package feed databases.

        If you go to the ipkg/opkg feed configuration file directory, and just
        rename the feed config files to something that ipkg/opkg doesn't
        recognize, that'll disable the feeds effectively. You can then install
        using "./<filename>.ipk" -- only problem is that without any feeds,
        ipkg/opkg can't resolve dependencies, so you'll have to install those
        manually in advance...

        Don't forget to rename the feed config files back again when you're done.

        -Mike (mwester)

      • tlhackque
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2009
          As I noted, renaming the config file directory did allow the install.

          But shouldn't '-force-downgrade' prevent {i,o}pkg from mis-using it's "intelligence"? Or -f /dev/null? Seems to me that there needs to be a way to get it to "Do Exactly What I Said".

          Is there a bug reporting system for {i,o}pkg?

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

          > Yeah, it does that when it thinks it has "better" information in the
          > package feed databases.
          >
          > If you go to the ipkg/opkg feed configuration file directory, and just
          > rename the feed config files to something that ipkg/opkg doesn't
          > recognize, that'll disable the feeds effectively. You can then install
          > using "./<filename>.ipk" -- only problem is that without any feeds,
          > ipkg/opkg can't resolve dependencies, so you'll have to install those
          > manually in advance...
          >
          > Don't forget to rename the feed config files back again when you're done.
          >
          > -Mike (mwester)
          >
          > tlhackque wrote:
          > > I tried ./ as well as the absolute path to the package. ipkg still tries to download the v2 pkg specified by the feed instead of using the file...
          > >
          > > I don't have this problem when I build a newer version of a package; I have private versions of bind, dhcp, openssl that all use the file when I specify it.
          > >
          > > The strange behavior seems to be unique to the down-rev kit.
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> You can try "ipkg install ./freeradius_1.1.7-2_armeb.ipk" This makes it clear that you want to install from file.
          > >>
          > >> For building optware/nslu2 (unslung) toolchain, it's probably easier just use latest make/crosstool.mk and sources/crosstool.
          > >>
          > >> Cheers,
          > >>
          > >> -Brian

        • Mike Westerhof
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2009
            tlhackque wrote:
            > As I noted, renaming the config file directory did allow the install.
            >
            > But shouldn't '-force-downgrade' prevent {i,o}pkg from mis-using it's "intelligence"? Or -f /dev/null? Seems to me that there needs to be a way to get it to "Do Exactly What I Said".

            Of course the bad behavior is a bug.
            > Is there a bug reporting system for {i,o}pkg?

            Google says http://code.google.com/p/opkg/issues/list

            Keep in mind that the opkg version used in the last SlugOS release is
            rather old, though -- with any luck this issue has been long ago fixed.
            Since attempts to move up to more recent opkg versions pretty much
            failed for one reason or another, SlugOS remains with that rather old
            version -- the philosophy of "better the devil you know" prevails. :)