Cups print server

  • labzilla
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
      I'm planning to buy myself a cheap laser printer for home, and I've found a HP P1005 at a good price. I want to set up a printserver on my slug, and share printer on my home network. There is no direct Cups compatibility for this printer, but you can get Cups to print to this printer with a little effort. See http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ Since the slug isn't as robust as some of the other distros of Linux, does the slug have what is needed to do this. Looks like all I need is a compiler. Thoughts?
    • vasanag
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2010
        this might help:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

        labzilla wrote:
        > I'm planning to buy myself a cheap laser printer for home, and I've found a HP P1005 at a good price. I want to set up a printserver on my slug, and share printer on my home network. There is no direct Cups compatibility for this printer, but you can get Cups to print to this printer with a little effort. See http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ Since the slug isn't as robust as some of the other distros of Linux, does the slug have what is needed to do this. Looks like all I need is a compiler. Thoughts?

      • jon pounder
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
          vasanag wrote:

          anyone have experience with this actually sharing something other than a
          raw printer that takes ram for formatting ? curious what the ram and cpu
          demands are to do that locally on the box.