RE: [nslu2-linux] Re: atop

  • Don Muller
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 17, 2009
      Hi,

      It's running on a QNAP NAS (x86). The feed is
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2009
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Don Muller <don@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > It's running on a QNAP NAS (x86). The feed is
        > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz.

        Ok, so does the failure for the percentages to tally up happen on any other systems?

        Is your desktop computer multi-core? If so do you observe the same behaviour you've described with atop on that as you do on your QNAP?

        This would help identify whether the error is with atop in general or the specific build you are using.
      • Don Muller
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2009
          Sorry my desktop is Windoze. The only devices I have that run Linux are three
          NAS devices. Only one of them is dual core.

          > It's running on a QNAP NAS (x86). The feed is
          > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz.

          Ok, so does the failure for the percentages to tally up happen on any other
          systems?

          Is your desktop computer multi-core? If so do you observe the same behaviour
          you've described with atop on that as you do on your QNAP?

          This would help identify whether the error is with atop in general or the
          specific build you are using.

        • mig mac
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 2009
            Hi,
            I'm running atop v1.23 on a couple Ubuntu systems and both show CPU totals over 100%.
            I believe that is the intended behavior.

            from the atop man page:

                   CPU  CPU utilization.
                        At  least  one  line  is shown for the total occupation of all CPU’s
                        together....

            On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Don Muller <don@...> wrote:

            Sorry my desktop is Windoze. The only devices I have that run Linux are three
            NAS devices. Only one of them is dual core.

            > It's running on a QNAP NAS (x86). The feed is
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz.

            Ok, so does the failure for the percentages to tally up happen on any other
            systems?

            Is your desktop computer multi-core? If so do you observe the same behaviour
            you've described with atop on that as you do on your QNAP?

            This would help identify whether the error is with atop in general or the
            specific build you are using.

            Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
            - Laurence J. Peter
          • Don Muller
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 18, 2009

              Maybe it’s the intended behavior but is it the correct behavior?  If one line, CPU, is intended to show the numbers for all cpus, in other words an overall view of the system, how can a system be over 100% idle or busy or …? Maybe a new line should be added that shows the average.

              href="http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz." target="_blank">http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ts509/cross/stable/Packages.gz.