package gnuplot-X11 in SlugOS 5.3 opkg missing

  • reuter.rudolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
      Hello Brian,

      I just tried to port my application http://rudiswiki.homelinux.org:8080/wiki/HeizungWebcam from SlugOS version 4.8 to 5.3.
      There I need the program "gnuplot" in order to generate a PNG graphic. I installed with opkg the package "gnuplot", which I found under /opt/bin/gnuplot (1.124.492 bytes, 31.05.2009), because it was not available under ipkg. Unfortunately it did not support the terminal PNG, which the previous version under SlugOS 4.8 supported /usr/bin/gnuplot (2.542.489 bytes, 17.01.2009).
      I have seen that the package "gnuplot-X11" is missing in SlugOS 5.3 opkg.
      Because I had to compile a special driver (webcam) I setup the openembedded environment under Ubuntu (2009-03-07). There I found now all gnuplot packages, also gnuplot-X11. To my surprise they are all setup in ipkg for /usr/bin, instead of /opt/bin.

      What is the reason for changing the path /usr/bin to /opt/bin and is it possible to mix both ipkg packages without problem?

      With best regards from a confused user,
      Rudolf
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
        Don't ever mix OE ipkg's and optware ipk's. Don't use optware on SlugOS5 unless you know how to cleanly separate them.

        SlugOS5 uses /usr/bin/opkg and installs packages to /usr.

        Optware uses /opt/bin/ipkg-opt and installs packages to /opt. I know some users previously alias /opt/bin/ipkg-opt as opkg, please don't do that.

        -Brian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:

        > Hello Brian,
        >
        > I just tried to port my application http://rudiswiki.homelinux.org:8080/wiki/HeizungWebcam from SlugOS version 4.8 to 5.3.
        > There I need the program "gnuplot" in order to generate a PNG graphic. I installed with opkg the package "gnuplot", which I found under /opt/bin/gnuplot (1.124.492 bytes, 31.05.2009), because it was not available under ipkg. Unfortunately it did not support the terminal PNG, which the previous version under SlugOS 4.8 supported /usr/bin/gnuplot (2.542.489 bytes, 17.01.2009).
        > I have seen that the package "gnuplot-X11" is missing in SlugOS 5.3 opkg.
        > Because I had to compile a special driver (webcam) I setup the openembedded environment under Ubuntu (2009-03-07). There I found now all gnuplot packages, also gnuplot-X11. To my surprise they are all setup in ipkg for /usr/bin, instead of /opt/bin.
        >
        > What is the reason for changing the path /usr/bin to /opt/bin and is it possible to mix both ipkg packages without problem?
        >
        > With best regards from a confused user,
        > Rudolf

      • reuter.rudolf
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
          Thank you Brian for your quick help.
          I have learned now to setup a fresh SlugOS5 in order to avoid a mixup of packages.
          Regards, Rudolf

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

          > Don't ever mix OE ipkg's and optware ipk's. Don't use optware on SlugOS5 unless you know how to cleanly separate them.
          >
          > SlugOS5 uses /usr/bin/opkg and installs packages to /usr.
          >
          > Optware uses /opt/bin/ipkg-opt and installs packages to /opt. I know some users previously alias /opt/bin/ipkg-opt as opkg, please don't do that.
          >
          > -Brian
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Brian,
          > >
          > > I just tried to port my application http://rudiswiki.homelinux.org:8080/wiki/HeizungWebcam from SlugOS version 4.8 to 5.3.
          > > There I need the program "gnuplot" in order to generate a PNG graphic. I installed with opkg the package "gnuplot", which I found under /opt/bin/gnuplot (1.124.492 bytes, 31.05.2009), because it was not available under ipkg. Unfortunately it did not support the terminal PNG, which the previous version under SlugOS 4.8 supported /usr/bin/gnuplot (2.542.489 bytes, 17.01.2009).
          > > I have seen that the package "gnuplot-X11" is missing in SlugOS 5.3 opkg.
          > > Because I had to compile a special driver (webcam) I setup the openembedded environment under Ubuntu (2009-03-07). There I found now all gnuplot packages, also gnuplot-X11. To my surprise they are all setup in ipkg for /usr/bin, instead of /opt/bin.
          > >
          > > What is the reason for changing the path /usr/bin to /opt/bin and is it possible to mix both ipkg packages without problem?
          > >
          > > With best regards from a confused user,
          > > Rudolf

        • reuter.rudolf
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
            Hello Brian,
            after I installed "gnuplot" and "gnuplot-x11" from my cross environment I got the "png" terminal working.
            Now the next problem, "freetype" support was not compiled in the "gd" library. In the file "slug/openembedded/packages/gd/gd_2.0.33.bb" I saw the line "--without freetype \".
            I changed the line to "--with freetype=${STAGING_LIBDIR}/.. \".
            Then I tried to build with "make slugos-packages" - no success.
            Next, I deleted all "gd*" stamps in "slugos/tmp/stamps/armv5teb-linux-gnueabi" and tried again with "make slugos-packages" - no success.
            Next, I tried in "slugos" "./setup-env;bb -b openembedded/packages/gd/gd_2.0.33.bb". The answer was "The program 'bb' is currently not installed".
            Please give me a hint how to "build" myself a new "gd" package with freetype support, or provide in the SlugOS5 repository a new "gd" version with included "freetype" support.

            Best regards, Rudolf
            p.s. it looks to me, that in the SlugOS5 repository a lot of changes are made compared to the SlugOS 4.8 repository.