Skip to search.

Re: Building a cross compiler for SlugOSBE-5.3-beta

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2009
      Brian, thanks for the feedback. I got sidetracked by the nslu2-linux.org web site's AddAPackageToOptware page. Once I got onto the the OE track I was much better off! For the record I did the following:

      1. Span up a Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) server on some slightly older hardware as this appears to be one the best platforms for this.

      2. Installed the openembedded-common and openembedded-minimal packages using aptitude. These added another 190 or so packages missing from the basic build

      3. As a normal user(!) ran oe-setup-minimal. This pulls / updates the git repositiries etc, sets the environment variables correctly and then starts a new shell. This step needs to be run each time you want to develop.

      4. Created ~/.oe.conf with

      MACHINE="nslu2be"
      DISTRO="slugos"

      For Bigendian slugos.

      5. Did 'bitbake meta-toolchain-slugos' and left it running for a day or so, after which, hey presto a nice clean build system that created SlugOS5BE compatible binaries.

      The only minor issue was it created Debian packages rooted in / and not /opt. Anyone know how to tweak the install root to /usr/local

      Steve