Re: Building a cross compiler for SlugOSBE-5.3-beta

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2009
      I don't know why you want to use crosstool for slugos5be toolchain.

      SlugOS5BE has its proven way of building toolchain (Openembedded and bitbake), optware just uses the resulting toolchain.

      For a new platform that you want to build toolchain from scratch, you should look at crosstool-ng.

      -Brian

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <stevebleazard@...> wrote:

      > I am posting here because nslu2-developers seems to have disappeared.
      >
      > I have installed SlugOSBE-5.3-beta on a nslu2. I then tried to create a cross development environment using the instructions in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware. I had a couple of issues with glibc requiring optimization which I fixed with a hack to crosstool.sh and crosstool.mk.
      >
      > The main problem I had was that the resulting binaries won't run. A couple of things appear odd:
      >
      > * file gives: 'ELF 32-bit MSB executable, ARM, version 1, for GNU/Linux 2.4.3', but on an installed ipkg binary it gives: 'ELF 32-bit MSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.14'
      >
      > * Digging into the ELF I found the loader needed was ld-linux.so.2 but the only one available was ld-linux.so.3. Hacking the links got it a bit further but then the error was 'GLIBC_2.0 required'
      >
      > It looks like the lib setup in the toolchain is broken. I tried forcing a more recent kernel but the 2.4.3 settings seem fairly embedded.
      >
      > Any help gratefully accepted

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2009
        Brian, thanks for the feedback. I got sidetracked by the nslu2-linux.org web site's AddAPackageToOptware page. Once I got onto the the OE track I was much better off! For the record I did the following:

        1. Span up a Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) server on some slightly older hardware as this appears to be one the best platforms for this.

        2. Installed the openembedded-common and openembedded-minimal packages using aptitude. These added another 190 or so packages missing from the basic build

        3. As a normal user(!) ran oe-setup-minimal. This pulls / updates the git repositiries etc, sets the environment variables correctly and then starts a new shell. This step needs to be run each time you want to develop.

        4. Created ~/.oe.conf with

        MACHINE="nslu2be"
        DISTRO="slugos"

        For Bigendian slugos.

        5. Did 'bitbake meta-toolchain-slugos' and left it running for a day or so, after which, hey presto a nice clean build system that created SlugOS5BE compatible binaries.

        The only minor issue was it created Debian packages rooted in / and not /opt. Anyone know how to tweak the install root to /usr/local

        Steve