"groff" install broken, need some hint

  • Mai Kee Reis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
      Hi again,

      I could use some help by your experts. Groff is installed, but does not
      work. Please see here:
      MySlug:~# groff
      groff: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot
      MySlug:~# which groff
      /opt/bin/groff

      Status of the groff packet shall be okay:
      MySlug:~# ipkg info groff
      Package: groff
      Version: 1.19.2-2
      Depends: libstdc++

      So I want to ask you, how can I resolve the 'libstdc++.so.6' issue?
      I guess, it's something with "ln -s /opt/.../lib....", but what exactly?
      How can I learn where 'libstdc++.so.6' has to be located?
      How can I learn where libstdc++.so.<whatever> is located? /(I think I
      won't have locate on my tiny boxes)

      with best regards,
      Mai Kee Reis
    • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
        I'm guessing that the hardware is an NSLU2, but beyond that, it's pretty
        hard to tell for sure. You might be running the Unslung firmware -- but
        I don't know what version. You might also be running a SlugOS firmware,
        using the optware feeds -- but again, not sure what version.

        If you go to the wiki, one of the links (on the left margin) is to the
        ipkg search engine. It will allow you to do a query by filename to
        locate the package that contains libstdc++.so.6. Install the correct
        version of that package (depends on what firmware and version of that
        firmware you are running -- you didn't tell us that).

        And this is certainly a bug in the dependencies for the groff package;
        it should be marked to require that library.

        -Mike (mwester)

        Mai Kee Reis wrote:
        > Hi again,
        >
        > I could use some help by your experts. Groff is installed, but does not
        > work. Please see here:
        > MySlug:~# groff
        > groff: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot
        > MySlug:~# which groff
        > /opt/bin/groff
        >
        > Status of the groff packet shall be okay:
        > MySlug:~# ipkg info groff
        > Package: groff
        > Version: 1.19.2-2
        > Depends: libstdc++
        >
        > So I want to ask you, how can I resolve the 'libstdc++.so.6' issue?
        > I guess, it's something with "ln -s /opt/.../lib....", but what exactly?
        > How can I learn where 'libstdc++.so.6' has to be located?
        > How can I learn where libstdc++.so.<whatever> is located? /(I think I
        > won't have locate on my tiny boxes)
        >

        > with best regards,
        > Mai Kee Reis

      • brian_zhou
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
          groff already depends on libstdc++
          libstdc++ is supposed to have libstdc++.so* files under /opt/lib

          The ipk name indicates arm not armeb, so you're probably using neither unslung nor slugosbe. And the hardware may be not nslu2 at all. You definitely need to provide more info for people to help you.

          BTW, you can install mlocate from optware, manually invoke updatedb.

          -Brian

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mai Kee Reis <maik_nospam_reiss@...> wrote:

          > Hi again,
          >
          > I could use some help by your experts. Groff is installed, but does not
          > work. Please see here:
          > MySlug:~# groff
          > groff: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot
          > MySlug:~# which groff
          > /opt/bin/groff
          >
          > Status of the groff packet shall be okay:
          > MySlug:~# ipkg info groff
          > Package: groff
          > Version: 1.19.2-2
          > Depends: libstdc++
          >
          > So I want to ask you, how can I resolve the 'libstdc++.so.6' issue?
          > I guess, it's something with "ln -s /opt/.../lib....", but what exactly?
          > How can I learn where 'libstdc++.so.6' has to be located?
          > How can I learn where libstdc++.so.<whatever> is located? /(I think I
          > won't have locate on my tiny boxes)
          >

          > with best regards,
          > Mai Kee Reis

        • Mai Kee Reis
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
            Hi Mike and Brian,
            and all others who would like to help,

            Yes it is a pair of NSLU2s, both running SlugOS/LE 5.3 with optware feed
            installed.
            Adviced by your hints, guesses and questions, I asked again the ipkg,
            this time about libstdc:
            MySlug:~# ipkg info 'libstdc*'
            Package: libstdc++
            Version: 6.0.9-6
            programs

            See above, the line at the '>' mark. Looks like groff ipkg packet really
            has problems to resolve libstdc dependency, right?
            Groff knows about the dependancy, see here:
            MySlug:~# ipkg status groff
            Package: groff
            Version: 1.19.2-2
            > Depends: libstdc++
            Architecture: arm

            But for some unknown reasons, I have to manually install libstdc++ now.
            Okay, I'll do it now:
            MySlug:~# ipkg install libstdc++
            (please wait a while, it is just running...okay, it has finished)
            Now, 'man' and 'groff' have all subsequent libraries .....

            Oooops!!! New trouble!

            .... something with the terminal control is bad. See below snipped, I
            removed some of the blank lines.

            MySlug:~# man man

            man(1)
            man(1)
            [[1mNAME[[0m
            man - format and display the on-line manual pages
            [[1mSYNOPSIS[[0m

            It looks to me as if ESCAPE-sequences for colorisation are used, but the
            teminal does not understand it.
            Please note, my terminal does understand such stuff. I'm connected via
            ssh, ls and midnight commander
            are working very well in full colored mode. Just checked it twice again.
            The related settings are:
            PAGER='less'
            VISUAL='joe'
            TERM='linux'
            TERMINFO='/opt/lib/terminfo'
            LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto -h -a -L'
            But I don't know enough about linux to tell you which terminfo version I
            installed once.
            I'm pretty shure, it's the one which was required to get midnight
            commander working.

            I would highly appreciate further help from you all,
            with best regards,
            Mai Kee R.

            BTW.:
            Each day I'm using SlugOS, I see I wasted years of my life with DOS and
            Windows.

          • brian_zhou
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
              Don't know why libstdc++ got "Status: install ok not-installed".

              For the corrupt man screen problem, can you make sure optware less is installed, and export PAGER=/opt/bin/less ? Note optware mc is compiled with slang, while less depends on ncursesw.