Re: Slug needs a 'rest' between boots

  • fortunemunkey
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2009
      hmm, all of which are H/W issues (so apologies for posting in the wrong group).

      I think those things are both beyond my competence to fix it :-(

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Morrison <bdm@...> wrote:

      > fortunemunkey wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > My slug boots up and works fine (well, not with SlugOS, but that's a different thread!), however when it powers down, I need to leave it a significant amount of time before rebooting (haven't timed it, but it's minutes).
      > >
      > > Until this time NOTHING happens when I press power (no lights or anything).
      > >
      > > I tried a different power supply, but it makes no difference. Any idea what could be causing this?
      > >
      > > Is there something it's secretly doing before the LED's come on that takes time?
      >
      > I can't be sure, but it might be that a capacitor is remaining charged
      > because whatever is intended to discharge it has failed. Once the charge
      > leaks away through other higher resistance routes then the power button
      > works again.
      >
      > Equally it could be that there is some fault with the button itself that
      > means it takes time to open after being pressed, hence the start circuit
      > doesn't see the needed signal edge to kick it into life.
      >
      > HTH.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Brian

    • h_ching
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
        I am not sure if this is the reason, as I am using Debian. There is an issue with linux if you have multiple drives connected to the Slug, it does not always know which drive is which when it boots up and assigns a name to the device. So sometimes your boot drive can get /dev/sda and but sometimes it can get /dev/sdb, etc. This can happen quite randomly and you will eventually get lucky and the slugs pick the right one and it boots, else it just sits there.

        The solution to that is to mount the drives by UUIDs and you can search for it in the linux-slug site.

        Hope this gets you closer to a solution.

        Henry